close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PETA & Tomatos

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, May 8, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Guys/Gals, You might not beleive me, I probally wouldnt either, but I was listening to 700 WLW during the Mike McConnell's show they were talking about how PETA now says Tomatos have nerves & can feel pain when you pick them off the vine. I'm not sure if the fruit has the nerves or the vine, but this caller who is amember of PETA says its true. Now I may not be a very educated man, just sort redneck in nature but WHATS UP w/ THAT? Are we in such a wussy (for lack of a better term) world that we are now fighting for the rights of TOMATOS? SO PETA doesnt want us to eat meat, fish, poultry, now TOMATOS, I just dont get it. This person used a lot of old Testament stuff like not eating swine products or anything from the water that didnt have scales, he said such as Shrimp, Lobster and even catfish beacuse they dont have scales, but what really got me was the TOMATO thing.

2. I want all pita's (intentional missspelling) to know I am growing tomatoes and I will pick them very slowly, and eat them even more slowly!!!! All in an effort to increase my pleasure and the punishment to my poor tomatoes. Now I will say while growing I will offer them unbridled care.- Watering, fertilizer, sunshine and daily talking to!!!

3. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

Those idiots are nuts!!

4. Whoever was talking that BS might want to go back to school and take an introduction to Botany class so they can learn about the internal structure of plants because they dont have a nervous system. God those people give regular scientists such a bad image, I am tired of taking heat because of them.

5. catking

catking Banned

About sums up PETA .... You have got to be kidding. The sad part , and I really mean that (Sad ) is the fact that people do believe that plants can
    "feel" .......... I'm beyond words for the first time in a long time........ ~**~

6. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I don't think this is true. Forgive me for saying so.

Upon doing a bit of research, I am not able to find anything on PETA's web page, or anywhere els regarding PETA taking a stand on tomatoes. Rather, I found where in PETA's own cookbook, tomatoes are actually used often.

While PETA may be a nonsense group, as well as hypocritical in several of their actions, I don't think any prominent member of the organization has or will say things claimed.

I'm not doubting you heard it on the radio. Are you sure it wasn't some sort of joke? The clowns in cincy, do have a sense of humor.

7. Can't have those either...trees have feelings too...... :D :D :D

8. H2O Mellon

Nope, beleive me it was McConnells show. Dig it up or better yet send him an email.

9. H2O Mellon

Email send to Mike McConnell. Maybe he will remember more.

Mike,

Great show. I was in a discussion w/ someone about a caller from Fri 5/6/05. The caller, who was in PETA went on about how we shouldnt eat anything from the water that doesnt have scales, etc.... then said we shouldnt eat catfish too. Towards the end of his call he mentioned how tomatoes had nerves & could feel pain once picked off the vine. Anyways...... to make a long story short can you verify that this caller actually said these things. (Like I could even make something this crazy up)

Thanks Mike,

Bryan

10. I don’t care what anyone says!

Ketchup is MURDER!

If you are still putting that tomato blood on your hamburger, you’re a monster!

11. Reminds me of an awful movie called, "Attack of the Killer tomatoes." It was a show about big tomatoes going around killing people. In one scene a guy was dressed as a tomato and he was with the killer tomatoes sitting around a campfire eating and he gives himself away by asking for ketchup. All the tomatoes turn on him. Horrible movie.

12. H2O Mellon

wasnt George Clooney in that moive. It's sort of a Cult Classic.

13. catking

catking Banned

No doubt you heard it on WLW 700 Mellon Head..... The problem is I can't believe a human being can be so ignorant and that's being kind. ........This type of thing just does more harm to PETA than they can imagine , but then again, they don't care anyways. Most of their rantings are viewed as a freakin joke anyways .......... THE CATKING !!!

14. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I heard it also on friday and was at a loss for words. Couldn't beleive they were trying to argue that tomatoes felt pain.... Got to love 700 coming in strong here in C-bus

15. Are you going to rub some salt in the tomatoes wounds too? That's the best way to eat them. Cut up with a little salt sprinkled on them. Now my mouths watering.

16. Please stop bad-mouthing a group that I have been a proud life-long member of....PETA (People Eating Tastey Animals)... :p :p :p ...Thanks Ted Nugent ! ! ! ! !

17. ohhhhhh geeeeeezzzzzzzzzz...
    I now have heard it all....

18. I can not believe what I am hearing come out of your mouths.
    Yes, all of nature’s herbs, vegetables, fruits and animals can feel pain. I and all of my friends with the PETA organization believe this. We will not eat another thing if it is not made by man and can not hurt the world. hmmmmmmm, Hey you guys and gals over at the buffet of air I just wanted to know what we are going to eat. Plastic, nope bad for the environment, rubber nope, metal no have to dig in our mother earth to get the ore and coal to make it. I have it we will all eat the shells of eggs. We just need to find a method of not harming the yoke because it is another chicken.
    See if I can just word all the above just write and send this to PETA I could starve them out.

19. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I'm going to assume thats a copy of an email you sent to the host of the show. While appreciate the attempt, I ask that you not take offense to my comments. I also ask that you go back and re-read my previous post in this thread, and understand that I wasn't doubting that you heard that on 700. I use to listen to AM radio alot, both 610 & 700, until the radio in my truck crashed on me. I was only spectulating that it could have been a joke from the guys on 700, as Cincy is known as a very Conservative city, and we all know that the guys on 700 are pranksters.

Also I wasn't attempting to disprove anything you said. If I was going to do something as that, I would have linked to the numerous references I came accross. I just doubt a couple things, one being that 700 actually accepted a call from a member of PETA, and two that a prominent member of the organization said those things.

Try not to things personal.

Mike

20. H2O Mellon

MLAROSA, Nothing personal. I would have rather had a PM from you but I will reply. I did go back, (as you requested) there were two times you doubted this. #1.) "I don't think this is true. Forgive me for saying so." #2.) "While PETA may be a nonsense group, as well as hypocritical in several of their actions, I don't think any prominent member of the organization has or will say things claimed." I wasnt taking things personal, but not sure what to think of your reply. Saying "Dont take things personal", maybe I'm wrong but by saying that are you doing just that? Another case of the typed word or statement comming out wrong. As I stated I wanted to know more about the situation, one of the main reasons an email was sent. WLW does in fact take calls from PETA. Okay, we'll glad to have thta behind us. :)

PETA has a very large & powerfull group in Cincinnati. I have a personal friend that is a Big Time Chemist for Proctor & Gamble, PETA has a MAJOR beef w/ P&G. Anyone from the Dayton-Cincinnati area knows or at least has heard about the protests in downtown Cincy where new PETA members are put into cages, nude (but a painted body) in protest. It was either last year or the year before , but they even stagged a protest at the Chiquita Banana HQ office. I dont think I'd be surprised by anything PETA says or claims.