Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will start by saying this was out of the kayak. I admit when I went to pull him into the kayak I would have bet he was 50. Once I got him on my lap I knew he was in the 40s, I had finally broke out of the 30# pound range........ Nope 38 pounds 42" and good enough for me(for now). Epic battle in the kayak and has been my goal since I purchased it last spring. A personal best flathead in the kayak on the scioto and im still pumped housr later. This is my fouth flathead over 40" but the first one I have got to weigh its automatically my PB. But I feel pretty confident tuisx was the biggest.

Since there are always nay sayers, yes 38# seems a little heavy for 42" and it only looks 41" the picture. So for the doubters we will call him 41" and 30#s, happy?

Caught it on a 5" green. Had another run on a second green while I was fighting this guy and it went strait after a snag, lost. Missed a run on a third green the same size earlier. Total for the night; 5 channels, 1 gar, 1 drum, and 1 flathead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
helps if i put the picture huh. And he was released!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Green sunfish, worms were for trying to catch more bait. The one on the seat is holding up the measuring tape.

·
Aquatic Assassin
45 Posts
That is sweet action right there. Nice job Rusty!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently his girlfreind broke up with him mid spawning season and he got really depressed and started comfort eating to kill the pain. Sad story :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice catch Rusty. I have been fishing hard and I still have not found anything that big.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Apparently his girlfreind broke up with him mid spawning season and he got really depressed and started comfort eating to kill the pain. Sad story :(

EPIC! Nice catch. Can't break a FO flattie to save my life.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bottom at the edge of the current break where there are not many snags. It is hard to use floats in the kayak at that spot because it is a swirl and it would keep going around you slowly. The other rod was strait down and reel up about 3 ft off the bottom.

But I have fished it with bobber from the bank many times. There are a lot of big snags on the bottom between the current break and the bank. So I stopped fishing on bottom from the bank, you have about a 5% chance of getting them in because you have to go over them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts