close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Personal Tragedy at East Fork

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BANDIT, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I haven't been posting a lot this year like I did last year as I had a personal tragedy earlier in the year and I really haven't felt like it because of that event. This is a lesson for us all, especially dog owners.

The 2nd week of June we were camping and fishing at East Fork Lake. I got up early on the fateful morning and hit the water. At about 11 am I went back in and got the kids, the dog (Olivia - miniature Dachshund) and the wife and we went out on the water. We pulled up on a shore to have a picnic lunch and was setting there eating when 2 dogs (I think they were siberian or alaskan huskies or something along that line) appeared out of no where. My dog was minding her own business digging in the sand in the mud along the shore. The owner of the 2 dogs appeared (carrying a fishing pole) and the other dogs went over to my dog and started a small fight that we broke up real fast. The man apologized for his dogs and he put them on a leash and said he was going to find somewhere else to go. (State park rules - all dogs on leash at all times, yes I know mine wasn't either, I don't think she was going to hurt anything or anyone. Yes I know thats not what the law says.). We finished eating and were sitting there when the dogs appeared out of no where again without the owner. They made a bee line for my dog and the one dog got a good bite in around her neck area. My wife grabbed her and I got the other dogs away from her. We got the dog and the kids back on the boat and I was pushing us off the shore, when the owner appeared. Once again he apologized for his dogs and stated they had never done that type of thing before.

We went to the boat ramp and my wife and the kids took off for the animal hospital in Batavia while I got the boat out of the water. The vet cleaned her up but had to put her to sleep to do that as she didn't want to be touched. She told us to come back in a few hours after the sedative wore off and she thought she would be fine. We came back to get her and the vet said she was doing ok she had been walking around and was getting more active. We went into the back room to get her and she just laid there and wouldn't get up. She tried walking but was limping to one side. The vet did an x-ray real fast but couldn't find any bleeding or internal damage. The vet gave us some medicine and said that it was probably just some swelling from the trauma and she thought she would be okay but would probably take some time to heal. Bring her back Saturday to take out the sutures and check on her. Unfortunately she died in my wife's arms before we got back to the campground. Needless to say that pretty well ruined a nice vacation. The in-laws who live on the other side of Portsmouth, Ohio started our way as soon as they heard about the dog had gotten bit and they arrived just a little bit after we got back from the vets. We buried Olivia on the shore at the lake as she loved water and especially digging on the shore.

The next day my father-in-law and I took the girls out in the boat to try to get their minds off of what happened. Grandma was looking at a newspaper and was looking at the pet section and found a listing for miniature dachshunds, so my wife and her went to check them out secretly so the girls wouldn't know in case they didnt get one. We were waiting on them at the campsite when they got back and the girls had no idea what they had. I told them to go over and help mom get some groceries out of the truck. If I only had my camera when they saw their new puppy (Sadie - 6 weeks old the day we got her). She definitely helped them (all of us) get over our loss but it was still a tragedy as we lost a dear family member of 6 years.

I didn't get the man's name or anything as my priority at the time was to get her to the vet to get her checked out. I did report the incident to a Ranger who of course scolded me because my dog wasn't on a leash. He told me he would notify me if the gentleman ever reported the incident, needless to say it hasn't happened. I sort of hope that who ever this man is reads this so that he knows what happened to our dog and hopefully prevent another tragedy like this from happening. I still wonder, what if it had been one of the kids they attacked? I guess the lesson to learn from all of this is please keep your dogs on a leash when around other people and their pets. To all of you who read all of this thanks for listening to me, I needed to get this off my chest.

The first pic is Olivia the second is Sadie...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose a pet that has been with the family for years.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

that was so sad, I wish I did not read it. I feel for you because I have two dogs and I love them dearly.

4. I too am very sorry for your loss. beautiful pictures.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

We lost our old dog this year too, he was 16. My wife really took it hard, and then one of our old cats died from age(13 or more) & then one from feline aids. My wife hasn't really been the same since. Didn't bother me too much as they were in such a bad condition I felt they were better off. She wouldn't let me take them to be put to sleep (the one with aids I took) I had one killed a few years back by our neighbor's rotweilers. That was rough, he was a great cat, my favorite.

Anyway, I know it's really has to be a shock to see them attacked and then the unfortunite outcome.
    Looks like the puppy will bring great joy and help you heal quickly.

6. Iam So Sorry For Your Loss..i Know It Really Hurts When You Lose A Member Of Your Family..i Still Hurt When I Think Of The Dog I Lost...

7. I too am sorry for your loss. My family has always been a dog family too, and our pets become like new children for my folks and my brother and sisters. We love our dogs very much. I hope people realize that a dog can and will bite at any moment, it's only instinctual. That's why we hope the owner is smarter than the dog and keeps a constant eye on them.

Sadie looks more wooly than Olivia. Will she eventually look more like her as she gets older?

Eric

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

You handled that situation with the other dog owner better than I would have. Sorry to hear about your weiner dog.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nothing like a good weiner dog festival!
    [​IMG]

9. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Sorry to hear about Olivia, I am pretty much a dog person myself and letting one go is a hard thing to do. I hope your family can move on with the new pup.

10. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

What a sad story, I am sorry for your loss. As a owner of 4 dogs I can understand how they can become a part of your family. If you go back to that area and see that person again you should call the ranger and then explain to the guy what he has done to your family. Hopefully he will not allow them off the leash to cause harm to someone else.

11. Sorry to hear about losing the family pet. I've always been around dogs and it's hard to lose the ones that are always around in your lap. I hope the new puppy helps everyone get through the loss.

12. For all the replies, it is much appreciated. Warpath Sadie is a long hair, Olivia was a short hair, so there will be a difference. What are you doing tomorrow (thursday) night? Interested in a small tournament? Email me jgee@cinci.rr.com.....

13. Wow...you handled that way better than I would have.

It astonishes me that people with big dogs like huskies walk around with them and no leash. Yes all dogs should be leashed when in public but there is a big difference in a husky being unleashed and a miniature dachsund being unleashed.

14. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

That is truley a very sad thing that happend, My heart goes out to your whole Family & Your Lost Pet. Im glad you posted this Message, It will most certainly teach others more about Safety. Im so sorry about your Loss. :(
    Cat Mazter

15. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

that stinks, really sorry to hear about your prt ( family member ) and happy to hear you got a new one........good luck................ :)