close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Personal Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BlueWater, Mar 14, 2005.

1. I also posted this in the Fly Fishing section:

I have been thinking about buying a canoe or kayak for all types of fishing (fly included), but I cannot make a decision. I like how easy and light a kayak is, but I also like how stable and roomy a canoe is. Also, you can put a trolling motor on a flat back canoe, but the ones I have seen are $1,300 or more.

This weekend I was at BPS and I saw their pontoon boats and they seem to have all the options that I am looking for:

Stable
    Roomy
    Storage space
    Motor mount
    Anchor kit
    Rod holders
    Drink holders
    Etc.

I can get all this for under $500.

Can you guys give me some info on these boats:

Are they good or bad?
    Do you have to wear waders to use them?
    Do they work for all types of fishing?
    Can you use them in the lakes (East Fork, Ceasers Creek)?

Thanks for your help!

BlueWater

2. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

BlueWater,
    I've been fishing from a Kayak for about 5 years now and it is my boat of choice. I primarily fish creeks and rivers, for which I think it is an optimal choice, especially some of the smaller, shallower creeks and rivers in the area.

I recently bought a canoe (15' Old Towne), but mostly for two person trips. Too much boat to pack for a single person trip.

One word of caution on the kayak and a fly rod. The rods are a bit cumbersome based on their length. I put in at Kincaid Lake in Kentucky last year for some popper fly fishing for bass. I didn't pull my rod out of the case until I was on the water. It was probably pretty comical for someone on the shore to watch me try to put together an 8.5' fly road in an 11' kayak! The other danger when fly rodding from a kayak is the rod hanging out of the boat while traversing rapids or brushy cover...the rod could get ripped right out of the boat since you should be watching the water and obstacles and probably not your rod.

I normally use a 5' ultrlight rod when fishing from the kayak and it works quite well. I also carry most of the tackle that I need in a fly vest and strap some things to the front of the boat with a bungee cord type setup that is riveted to the front of the boat.

The price is right for a kayak too. You can definitely get the whole setup for under $500. I probably have about $350-$450 in my setup. I have the basic Otter kayak from Old Towne (I think that is who makes it). I added the foot pegs, bungee cords, and paddle straps myself.

One last thing to mention about a kayak if you go that route. I would recommend getting a short life vest. The standard life vests run a little long down the back and tends to get stuck on the back of the seat and is very annoying.

Creekwalker

3. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

I'm assuming you're talking about the inflatable versions...if you are, consider the following things...I've been fishing from an inflatable sevylor canoe($300) for 2 years now and the things you need to know...First, wind is your enemy...you need a calm day to around 10mph to have an easy day...15mph is about max for me, but I only row...A motor may go a long way...If you're worried about durability, don't...Just use common sense...Cut lines when in a tree or go and retrieve it etc...Additionally, it's a good idea to get your hook out of cats while they're in the net as they can cause punctures(I land all of them in a net and then put them in a hard sided cooler before releasing)

First and foremost, inflatables are very very quiet and give you good creeping ability...I have no personal experience from the pontoons but stability is probably excellent, my canoe is 36" wide and I've been in hard chop w/o problems...I'm pretty sure the pontoons are weight rated and keep you entirely out of the water...I haven't fly fished before, but most of the pontoons are made for that purpose...Trout streams/rivers...Be careful on lakes as some such as Hoover in Columbus require inflatables to have 3 air chambers and be a certain length...That will probably be specific to each lake so be sure to check the regulations at the launch...The key to inflatables is to not get frustrated...it's an art and a science, but once you get it down it's very effective and as good as a boat...You may also consider this for about $300

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...catalog/pod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276