Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a fiberglass boat similar to a ranger 621 but with the tall gunnels and high bow like a Starcraft fishmaster? I'm thinking like a big walk through windshield deep (kid friendly) fiberglass walleye boat set up for big outboard and a kicker , terrorova will still reach the water off the bow, etc. this is the perfect Erie boat in my mind

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Eye Lander
488 Posts
Take a look at the Seaswirl Striper 2101 DC. Might be what you are looking for. It would be on my short list for a new fishing and family fun boat.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would go see Steve Carlson at Southshore and look at his line of boats. There are plenty of boats to look at in his showroom to compare against each other.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,421 Posts
Not AS deep as the starcrafts but Warrior boats has 30 inches of depth. They have 30 inch transoms, deepest of all the walleye boats, they have open backs and are basically tourney style layout.

The Rangers are more kid friendly than you think the rear storage bins keep them away from the gunnel and on the floor. Unless they crawl on top of them but I suppose they could crawl on top of anything in the boat (seats, bow) and go over.

http://warriorboatsinc.com/boat.php?2121
30 inches of inside depth on Warrior Fishmaster is 31 according to website

Rangers, Starcraft STX, and others are around 25

As far as I know the warrior I linked is the deepest of "tourney" style walleye boats, they ride great from what I hear and fish very well.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,115 Posts
Any of the more "offshore" style boats will do well on Erie. that includes the Grady White, Boston Whaler, Seaswirl Striper series, etc... Look for a deep V with a good flair on the bow.

Add a bunch of Cisco rod holders around the perimeter and you will increase the "fall over" depth by another foot. :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/3900692890.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/528142-fs-2000-scout-dorado-202-a.html

I have been looking at the key west dc, striper dc,and the scout dorados. Only interested in outboards. I went too big with my last boat and my kids hated not being able to tube. I also missed not being able to trailer it to various places. I will say I fished a ranger reata and that would be my first choice but I don't want to put that kind of money when I won't get much use out of it. There are many boats of this style in the 10-15k that look great. My kids are at the sports ages where everything is traveling and takes up most weekends. I keep an eye out but then I also just keep being a boat ho to a few I enjoy fishing with. I am on vacation at topsail beach and would of loved to have a boat here for the kids to enjoy as well as my chance to fish.

·
WALLEYE WHISPERER
879 Posts
ive got a sea nymph gls 19.5... a great boat handles the lake great easy to transport. deep sides, easy on gas, walk threw windsheild, lots of storage, and plenty of room.. every time i go to the dock i always have COMPLEMENTS!!!!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Every boat is a compromise....that being said...take a hard look at the Grady Whites and the Scouts.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
ive got a sea nymph gls 19.5... a great boat handles the lake great easy to transport. deep sides, easy on gas, walk threw windsheild, lots of storage, and plenty of room.. every time i go to the dock i always have COMPLEMENTS!!!!
My grandfather had that same boat. He would dock it a mosquito for camping and everyday outings, and we would stop and pick it up on our way to port Clinton for our once a month Erie weekends. It did great every time!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'll second the warrior boats....they are top notch and add a little more depth than ranger but still have the fishability of a tourny boat.

None of the other suggestions are even close to what you asked an opinion for, those are pleasure boats, not walleye boats.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Warrior, skeeter, triton, tuffy, yarcraft, IMO make nice walleye boats, depending on price for you

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,421 Posts
The warrior def has my attention. Why don't I see more (any) of them?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
No dealers around (might be one in akron now but not 100%), some OGF guys have them though, or had one. I saw one at the boat show this year, nice rig, doesn't have the storage of the Rangers (no rear bins) and the front bow area isn't as big as alot of tourney style rigs but if your a big water fisherman and not a jigger or rigger who cares it's wasted space, the warrior does sit you further forward so that will effect ride from what I hear they ride good though, however it has more room in the rear and if your a troller that's beneficial. It's sort of like the 2050 reata but deeper.

Lund is coming out with a glass Tyee in 20 ft, deeper sides on that rig, it's new for 2014, might be another option.

Both boats will be mid to high 60's new depending on equipment/motors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts