peregrine falcon

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 2talltim, Jan 4, 2008.

1. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i know these are endangered in Ohio i think i have one hanging out in the open eve of my porch i don't see a nest or anything but iv seen in fly in and out a couple times its probably warm in there and it likes to sit on my porch rail...i don't think it is very old seems to be kinda small but if it would nest is there someone i should call i know they like to track these things...ill try to get a pic. next time i see it on the rail

2. COOL! I've been at a few falcon bandings and have seen the adult birds up-close several times... They are awesome!

3. Here you go... Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

4. I love raptors! I saw a Hawk in Streetsboro today. I saw a Bald Eagle on Rt. 7 along the Ohio River last year, and since I have seen the pair at West Branch, along with a lot of Peregrine's.

5. they are awesome birds! never seen one in the wild but penn. glen has some.as well as at few ODNR sponsored events
    love to see some pics if you could get some!
    im sure the ODNR would probably be interested to know about it

great pic carl

6. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

close it was more copper colored and a little smaller more like this one

Attached Files:

7. how small we talkin? does it like like this??

American Kestrel???

[​IMG]

8. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

maybe the size of a crow...a good size bird just not as large as i would expect a full grown adult to be...like i said i should get a photo op sometime seen it on the rail 3 out of the last 6 days

9. coopers hawks are often mistake for peregrenes.
    Do a google search and check them out.

10. Red Tails this time of year love to poach bird feeders for an easy meal. I have a pair of Red Tails that lay claim to my property and I see them all the time. They are quite common.

Salmonid

11. I don't know if this is where you would report it or not but if you see a Bald Eagle heres the email I got today.

1/3/2008
    OHIOANS ASKED TO PARTICIPATE IN ANNUAL MID-WINTER EAGLE SURVEY
    Volunteers urged to report any eagle activities observed until Tuesday, January 15

COLUMBUS, OH - Ohioans are encouraged to assist state wildlife biologists with the annual mid-winter eagle survey, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

Man I don't get on here one day and I miss everthing, Sorry this was already posted in another theard.
    Volunteers are urged to report any bald or golden eagle activities they observe between now and Tuesday, January 15 to the Crane Creek Wildlife Research Station at 419-898-0960.

The mid-winter survey is conducted each January as part of a nationwide tally to determine the wintering eagle populations in North America. Last year, 480 bald eagles were reported across Ohio, including 359 adults and 121 immature birds. The survey includes aerial observations, as well as monitoring from the ground by biologists.

"Today, there are more opportunities than ever for Ohioans to observe bald eagles in the wild, as the population of these magnificent birds continues to expand throughout the state," said Mark Shieldcastle, biologist with the Division of Wildlife. "The potential to see both resident eagles and those wintering-over is a reality in all parts of the state."

Observers are reminded not to approach a nest. Human interference prior to and during the nesting season may prompt an eagle pair to abandon a nest or discourage them from using it in the future. It is a violation of both state and federal law to disturb an eagle nest.

Most eagle nests in Ohio are located along the shores of Lake Erie, but a growing number are found well inland. A few of the viewable inland nest locations include: Delaware State Wildlife Area in Delaware County, Mercer Wildlife Area in Mercer County, Killdeer Plains State Wildlife Area in Marion and Wyandot counties, and Knox Lake State Wildlife Area in Knox County.

Other popular eagle-viewing areas include: Pickerel Creek State Wildlife Area and surrounding bay in Sandusky County, Magee Marsh State Wildlife Area and adjoining Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge in Ottawa and Lucas counties, Old Woman Creek State Nature Preserve in Erie County, Mosquito Creek State Wildlife Area in Trumbull County, Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County, Dillon State Park in Muskingum County, and various areas along the Scioto River.

Ohio's bald eagle population has gone from only four active nesting pairs along southwestern Lake Erie in 1979 to the current modern-day record of 164 breeding pairs. Last year, 194 eaglets fledged from 116 successful nests in 39 Ohio counties.

Active nests were recorded last year in the following counties: Ashtabula (4), Brown (1), Coshocton (3), Crawford (3), Cuyahoga (1), Defiance (2), Delaware (4), Erie (12), Geauga (4), Guernsey (1), Hancock (2), Hardin (1), Harrison (1), Henry (1), Holmes (2), Huron (3), Knox (4), Lake (2), Licking (3), Lorain (2), Lucas (6), Mahoning (3), Marion (3), Mercer (2), Morgan (1), Morrow (1), Muskingum (2), Noble (1), Ottawa (23), Pickaway (1), Portage (4), Putnam (1), Richland (2), Ross (3), Sandusky (20), Seneca (6), Stark (1), Summit (1), Trumbull (10), Tuscarawas (2), Washington (1), Wayne (2), Wood (4), and Wyandot (8).

Golden eagles are rarely seen in Ohio. However, a few have been observed over-wintering in the Buckeye State in recent years. The number of sightings is expected to increase as the golden eagle population in the eastern Arctic expands, and as reintroduction efforts in Georgia and Tennessee enjoy success.

The ODNR Division of Wildlife's work with bald eagles is funded through the sale of the bald eagle license plate. Proceeds from the sale of this plate are devoted to acquisition of habitat, as well as the management and study of bald eagles. Purchase of the bald eagle license plate can be made online at OPLATES.com, from a deputy registrar's office, or by calling the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 1-888-PLATES3.

Matching federal funds are provided through the State Wildlife Grant Program for the eagle restoration project and other wildlife diversity efforts of the Division of Wildlife that target species of greatest conservation need.

Additional funding for bald eagle restoration is derived from contributions to the state's income tax check-off program, which supports wildlife diversity and endangered species. Eagle restoration efforts also can be supported by donations via the Internet.

12. Here is a pic of coopers hawk
    [​IMG]

13. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Here ya go Murphy.....

Attached Files:

14. Coopers Hawks are very common where we live and are often seen hunting from power lines. Red Tail Hawks are common too, but seem to prefer a more solid perch. A perigrine falcon would be a rare sight except for a few downtown areas where the state has tried to reintroduce them.

15. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I have seen perigrine falcons on a couple different occasions. One in particular happened a few years ago. It must have just dive bombed a pigeon because the falcon was sitting on top of the pigeon and eating it. There were feathers everywhere. This happened in a front yard just down the street from my house as I was driving by. I backed up and watched for about 30 seconds before it flew up into a tree with the pigeon still in its talons. It was definately a cool sight.

16. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Sharp-shinned_Hawk_dtl.html

Sharp Shinned ---- Man this is a big-time killer of small birds. Had one take about a dozen Gold Finches off a feeder in my back yard. Had to take down the finch feeders. Didn’t think it was fair to the hawk, so I put up a feeder for the House Sparrows. :)

The Sharp Shin is sometimes mistaken for a Peregrine Falcon.

The Sharp is just a little smaller than a Crow, kind of like in-between a Blue Jay and a Crow.

Seen a Sharp go after a Humming bird ( one of my HB feeders) and miss by about 3 inches, very impressive. Not many birds can out maneuver a hummer.

17. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

its for sure a peregrine seen it again today on the fence post out back took off before i got to the camera....got the camera on the top of the TV now ready to grab

18. Is this a Coopers Hawk?