Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I perch fish it is always with one pole as I can feel the bite and react quickly to set the hook.

I can set another pole next to me in a pole holder but I would not be able to get to it to set the hook in time, especially when the nibbles and bites are light.

How do you guys do it?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I just use one pole. With five guys or more on the boat it's way too cluttered to try and fish with more than one.

That and I'd just be wasting bait on that rod as I would never get to it in time either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I use one pole. I have a rod hold so I can use it once in a while, or when I'm getting bait.

My 13 year old son uses two poles in holders most of the time, and has been catching more that me.

I would rather not look up at the rod and wait for the bite....

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If the bite is slow I use two with the thought that the more bait down there the better chance of attracting fish. When there is a steady pick I'll only use one rod.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
If the bite is slow I use two with the thought that the more bait down there the better chance of attracting fish. When there is a steady pick I'll only use one rod.
Same here

Sent from my LS670 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
361 Posts
I set one in a pole holder that sticks the rod out sideways to the boat. As the boat rocks it moves it up and down. It actually does a pretty good job setting the hook on its own. Some days they just steal the bait, some days it works great. Lite bite days actually work better as they seem to mouth it then the boat rocks up and grabs them I think.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I almost always use 2 rods. A little practice and you get used to grabbing bait out of the bait bucket and rebaiting a hook while continually watching the other rod tip. If we get into a bite that is so fast that I'm losing bait more than catching fish on the second rod I'll pull one for a bit but that isn't too often. I've never personally liked holding the rod in my hand because I tend to set the hook on first feel and miss more fish that way. It's easier for me to watch the rod tip just start to pull down and then grab the rod while setting the hook all in one move. I just leave my rods lay from the back deck or on a cooler then over the side of the boat spaced maybe 16-18" apart at the rod tips with only the last 3 to 4 eyelets hanging over the edge of the boat. I couldn't see how you could pull a rod out of a rod holder fast enough.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use two poles unless the current or wind is bad. Second pole is a noodle rod in a rod holder,fished with salties in the mud. Action is forgiving enough that the fish can inhale the bait without a lot of resistance. The 10 1/2' length also helps to get the line away from the hand held pole and reduces tangles.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I use 2 poles when I can. if I miss a few no big deal. but if the bite is hot I only need 1 pole to keep me busy.
sherman

·
Tontogany1
89 Posts
Fish with two until you hook one - then leave it down there and switch to one pole - Just make sure its a yellow perch. Give that pole a jerk every now & then. Keeps em there - just my opinion

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm with Jason, that is exactly how I perch fish. I have an I/O and rest my poles on the motor cover. I feel like having bait down there constantly keeps the fish around. It's a good day when you can't fish with two poles, I like those days! If I get two poles going off at one time I set the hook reel up, and if it's a perch, I take care of it, if not I'll set that one down and reel the other one up. My last trip out I had a double on one and brought it over the side of the boat and set it down, reel my other one up and had two on it too. Four fish in ten seconds, can't beat it!

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Even though I always use #2 gold aberdeens, any I catch on an unheld second rod are always very deeply hooked. Even if it is one that I might normally release, if deeply hooked, it goes towards the count. Barn cat "Dinky" loves the smaller ones. Just me and how I do it I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts