Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of Rocky River around 10 am. Had golden shiners. The pack of boats at about 38 ft didn't seem like they were doing much and we didn't really mark much so we headed out until we got some decent marks. Set up in 51 ft of water. The water clarity was a factor and was better out deeper.
It was generally steady action with lot's of different fish:

the typical perch:

white bass:

white perch:

small perch:

and catfish:

What is with all the catfish? They are everywhere!

Ended up with about 50 decent perch. Nothing over 12 inches.

Nice enjoyable day on the lake but not enjoyable coming home!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I saw you on my way down to the rocky to steelhead fish. I would have stopped to give you my extra trailer tire but when i got closer i could see that it was a much bigger problem. What did you do? How'd you move it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw you on my way down to the rocky to steelhead fish. I would have stopped to give you my extra trailer tire but when i got closer i could see that it was a much bigger problem. What did you do? How'd you move it?
I called AAA and after about an hour they said they didn't have anyone that would be able to help me - Rich's towing had their truck in the shop, someone else "wouldn't do it"....they gave me a couple companies names that do semi trucks....first one was on a "skeleton" crew and they wouldn't be able to get to me for at least 2 hours. The other company came through. Just cranked it up on a flatbed (put a skid under dead wheel).

Trailer is trashed. Have had problems with the bearings before but liked it because it has the rollers...now the trick is going to be getting it off the junk trailer and on to a new one in the driveway.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand the last text line.....or the last pic.
Broken axle. Pretty much both rear tires don't rotate. Guy who towed the boat said he has done plenty of the Windstars that had the rear axle break but never a trailer axle.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yea, if it is just the axle its an easy fix. Just a matter of finding the right size and a few bolts. We changed both axles on one of my landscape trailers this spring, wasnt a big deal. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
go to a boat storage place ,or a pipe fab shop and barrow 4 or 6 pipe jack stands,jack it up and block it up sawzall or some how cut the trailer enough to be removed from under the boat back the new trailer under moving jack stands as required, or get a crane ,spreader bars and slings what ever your bill fold can handle

·
~~~~~~~~~
501 Posts
Can't be totally sure from looking at the picture of the broken trailer but it looks like a design flaw. Is the point where it broke actually a weld seam?If so it should never have been located so close to a high stress point. From the pic it looks like they butt welded 2 tube ends together?? If you absolutely had to weld 2 tube ends together you'd want a tube inside of the tubes and have it extend at least 10-12" on either side of the weld. I would not recommend trying to fix this. I'd be curious what the manufacturer would have to say. Butt welding tube ends together is just plain bad design.
I think everyone should have an experienced welder inspect for cracked welds etc. at least once a year and at the beginning of the season.
Sorry about your luck Mirage!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good advice. I did a closer look at the cross section and rust had significantly eroded the thickness of the square tube (not at a welded joint). I stopped by West Marine and they can order me a new axle. He didn't have a price but I am sure it's around $400-500. I would need the axle with the springs and bearing assembly. Also, in the process of moving the trailer the welded "clip" that holds the spring in is bent beyond repair.

I have always felt a little uncomfortable with this trailer as it is rated at 2300 lbs and the whole rig weighs in at 3000 lbs. I have had the boat and trailer for about 15 years and it has served me well (boat and trailer are 30 years old).

Bob

·
'73 24' Stamas
975 Posts
Our boat weighs 4800 and I walked the trailer out from under it and had it on blocks to refinish bottom. If you'd like to hear my system pm me and I'll show you how. I can do my 24' in an hour or less, with a 2 ton floor jack and blocks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fun day fishing. That axle would piss me off.
Last year, just snowed, bringing boat back from Huron. Lost a wheel bearing, wheel stayed on. Rebuilt bearing off of the exit ramp, turpike to 77 south. Did repairs in one foot of snow. Got me home, needed new hub and all.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Before dropping $500 to $600 on a new axle assembly I'd check out OGF Marketplace and Craigslist. There are always used trailers on those two sites and I bet you could find one that you would be comfortable with and have a weight rating that is safe for your boat.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but Norm at the Dry Dock usually has a lot of odds and ends laying around and has always been a good creative problem solver for me when i've had interesting problems with various boat issues. he's out of vermilion

1 - 15 of 15 Posts