close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

perch?

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Juan More Fish, May 21, 2007.

1. Juan More Fish

Juan More Fish AKA Dnavarroj

when do the perch spawn? Is the maumee good for perch fishing? What other fish do you guys up there catch at the maumee?
    Were from columbus,Ohio.

2. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Fish in the maumee: Walleye whitebass catfish crappie suckers sheeps carp perch bass

3. Quillback, gar, shad, smallmouth, pike, steelhead.

4. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

yup those 2 i cant remember all those!

5. TheBiteIsOn

TheBiteIsOn TheBiteIsOn

i dont know where you are fishing in the maumee river but the perch dont spawn up that river

6. Yellow perch spawn early like the walleye. I've haven't caught them in the maumme. I usually fish for smallies in the summer. Strickly C&R.

7. DNA,
    Yellow perch are ususually caught on the big lake in 40 - 50 ft of water. Doesn't really matter when they spawn. You can start catching them now throughout the summer. If you don;t have a boat, you can fish off the piers or go on one of the big perch party charters...

8. In my 25years of fishing the Maumee I have never caught a perch. I wonder if they my hang out above the Grand Rapids dam? If i was targeting perch the river would be the last place i would look.

9. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Ditto. They do not seem to venture past the bay.

Ummmm.... not up here on our end. The shipping channel isn't even that deep! :D

10. Cought about my limit at the mouth of the Portage river in Port Clinton. This blew my mind, seen a fellow there with alot of jumbo perch. Didn't take me long to get the gear out and cought 28 some very large perch. That was last Friday, went up 2 days later nothing but sheephead. wow!

11. Quillback???? That's a new one on me. Maybe I caught one and didn't know what it was.

12. Looks like a carp but has a long quill fin on the dorsal.

13. Gotcha. Caught a couple of those this spring and wondered what they were. Thanks, normd.

14. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

I have caught yellow perch around the islands in the river by walbridge park. I was surprised as well... add it too the list. The dnr claim that there are around 100 species of warm and cold water fish that are in the river. Here is an interesting read. http://www.thenaturalresource.com/walleye_run_2007.php