Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any western basin perch reports in a long time. I guess that means they must be biting again? Want to make the trip from Lorain, but not burning all that gas unless we're pretty sure we're going to catch something.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Some friends went yesterday out of Port Clinton. Hit all the normal spots around the firing range and caught a total of 5 perch. Imo July is the new September/October perch season.

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
228 Posts
August was very good around the firing range and water intake. September was tough. Cooler water temp may turn them on again.

Reactions: Morrowtucky Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe the billion walleye, starting to return on their annual migration have scattered them. You'd think it's still too early, but when something 10 times bigger than you, with teeth, comes at you, it wouldn't take a lot of them to have you hiding.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There were probably 200 boats sitting off the Marblehead Lighthouse Saturday. I wasn’t in it but my dock mates said they did very well just west of the lighthouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were probably 200 boats sitting off the Marblehead Lighthouse Saturday. I wasn’t in it but my dock mates said they did very well just west of the lighthouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies. I heard about the bite out west in late July and early August, but the steelhead bite was so good off Lorain, I figured I could catch perch later. My neighbor heard about the Marblehead bite, so I guess we'll try there Wed.

·
228 Posts
Yes

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,821 Posts
Maybe they swam to Canada and the commercial boats got them

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Solo limit east of the water intake this morning. Cut shiners and goldies on 3 hook crappie rig.
Did the tow from Lorain yesterday afternoon. Three of us fished from 2-6. Hundreds of boats scattered everywhere. Fished off the limestone dock first, then west of the Marblehead lighthouse. Went back to limestone dock (30 ft.) because we marked fish better there. Got a really good bite going around 4, but the wind did a 180 from the SW to the NE and the bite stopped. Tried moving back to where we were fishing before we swung around, but just got a few before we went in. Finished with 56, everything right on the bottom. Fish were small, mostly 7-8 inches. Maybe 8 that were in the 9-11 range.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Three of us fished out in front of lake side today. Ended up with 87. Pretty consistent bite this morning from 9 to 1:30. Then we needed like 15 more to finish so we stuck it out as long as possible (beautiful weather helped). At 5:30 we called it quits with three short. Bites were pretty light. Alot of fish in the 7 to 8 inch range with some 10 to 11 and a couple 12 to 12 1/2 inch fish. Haven't had a perch dinner in a long time so these will be a real treat.
Food Ingredient Seafood Staple food Dish

·
228 Posts
Back at the water intake again today. Moved a few times in that area but was not able to find active fish. Only 8 found their way in the cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi folks, hoping you might be willing to offer a few tips for spots close to Sand Beach Road in Oak Harbor, west of Toussaint Creek. I am coming up next weekend to take walleye charter with some friends, but was considering trailering my boat up for the day before to try and hit some perch. I’ve never taken my boat out on Erie before, so just wanted to stay somewhat close if possible. Thanks for your help!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts