Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Harry
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of their sonar screen showing a school of perch that they could post on the forum or send to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
There were a couple on here about two weeks ago in the Lake Erie forum from the guys perching out of Ashtabula. Fish stacked from 50' down to the bottom. I'll see if I can find that thread...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'll grab one next time out but I gotta tell you I almost never see them schooled up off the bottom. I look for bumps connected to the bottom. It only takes 4-5 bumps close together to make me drop anchor. If there's a bunch, you should see the bumps, a few marks a foot above and some baitfish.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's a good looking screen but X 2 on the bumps. When it looks like rocks on the bottom is usually isn't. Truth is it seems like when the screen looks like a dessert the fishing is usually good ha.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll grab one next time out but I gotta tell you I almost never see them schooled up off the bottom. I look for bumps connected to the bottom. It only takes 4-5 bumps close together to make me drop anchor. If there's a bunch, you should see the bumps, a few marks a foot above and some baitfish.
Not sure what you are trying to say here. Every time we have a screen like this we catch perch as fast as you can catch them! For this particular screen picture, we had 150 perch in less than 90 minutes, just like the 5 weekends prior to this day. The time you can see on the finder, is the time we were done with the limit. Look at the gps speed, when not moving there are no bumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
When searching for perch you're not likely going to see a screen as above. There may be bumps or nothing at all on the screen as the perch are hugging the bottom. As you drop your bait and attract fish into your spot it may become like on the above screen.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I'd consider a screen view like that desert! My best catches this summer were over almost featureless screens. But then my sonar isn't near that fancy. Seems like when I do see the suspended fish I catch more junk than perch.
same thing here

·
Boatless
914 Posts
Im not shure where you guys are perch fishing. I do most of my perch fishing in Conneaut and there have been many times that we went out in the morning and found a perch pack that showed solid fish on the bottom 10ft of water before we dropped anchor. If your sonar looks like that we usually have our limit in under 2 hours. They arent schooled like that every time we go out, but it has happened quit often.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Im not shure where you guys are perch fishing. I do most of my perch fishing in Conneaut and there have been many times that we went out in the morning and found a perch pack that showed solid fish on the bottom 10ft of water before we dropped anchor. If your sonar looks like that we usually have our limit in under 2 hours. They arent schooled like that every time we go out, but it has happened quit often.
Same here. I fish Bula or Conny. When I setup it's usually over a school stacked up on the sonar...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I will be honest. I don't perch fish that far east. Would love to, but the winds haven't been cooperating the last 4 weekends. But over here in the Cleveland area, if you see a sonar like that, it is full of garbage fish with some perch. Until fall anyway. Need the water temp to come down before they will make there way this way... Soon I hope

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Please consider with biomasses of perch and white bass as you see here, the necessity of keeping their numbers under control due to the fact these fish will be predators on all sorts of fish including walleye fry and fingerlings and we will have a boom and bust fishery for the future. Take some perch home and help the future of our Lake Erie fishery.

·
2,433 Posts
Could there be a difference in the way the perch school in the deeper water east of Cleveland? I fish Avon Point to Kelleys and I catch fish but I am with Erieboy, Desoy28 and Fossil in that I have never seen patterns like those shown here - but the water depth on these screenshots is way deeper than anything I have fished. I look for those (red & yellow) bumps on the bottom with a white line underneath separating them from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
If we see one bump on the screen in the western basin we drop..reason being the cone is about the size of a dinner plate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts