Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should ask spoonfeeder his buddy makes them. They are the ones you toe behind your boat. It was pretty slick the time I went on an open seat with him.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
Here is a couple picks of the ones we use in our campgrounds. Work great. Cleans 150+ perch in less then 15 minutes. Pull it behind boat up to 18 mph. No mess to clean up ether. Pm if info is needed about them.

Larry
Soonfeeder on 79
Sent via Droid Bionic

·
630 Posts
A friend of mine makes these. I am waiting to hear back from him how long it takes to make a set. He makes them in sets of 3. Not sure of price. I am going to lake this weekend i can take better pics and get measurements if someone wanted to make there own. They are made out of carbon steel and painted.

FYI, when you use this scaler the heads of perch are also removed.

Larry
Soonfeeder on 79
Sent via Droid Bionic

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a perch scaler system. Anyone have any input on a good one or ones to avoid? I've been thinking about this one below, any thoughts would be appreciated.
http://www.walleyetacklestore.com/slskfisc.html
I have the one further down the page
http://www.walleyetacklestore.com/netudrfisc.html
I'm very happy with it. I think it is smaller than the first one. Sometimes it leaves a few scales, I give each fish a quick check with the knife for scales. They both chop up the heads as well.

The ones towed behind the boat look like an awesome idea.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have one that Bass Pro Sell ,it scales 35 to 50 perch in about 20 Min, I won it in tournament.I like it, I have or had one of the tow behind ones I did not like it at all .water conditions had to be just right to use it ,it might be OK for inland lakes , I would try one before I bought one

This is the one I had that did not work for me,

http://www.rock-itfishscaler.com/

HOW TO CLEAN YOUR CATCH WITH ROCK-IT:
1. Attach a 10-foot nylone rope (1200 lb. test strength minimum) securely to the snap swivel furnished with your Rock-It. You may want to vary the length of rope, depending on the design f your hull and the horsepower of your motor. Once you find the length that works best for you rig, just leave the rope permanently attached to the swivel and you're set!
2. Fill Rock-It no more than half ful of fish at a time - it's so quick and easy there's plenty of time to run a second batch!
3. Attach swivel to nose cone of Rock-It. Fasten other end of rope to port (left) side of boat transom, approximately a foot above water line. IMPORTANT NOTE: Ideal height will vary with hull pattern and motor horsepower - some adjustment may be necessary to get the optimum rocking action out of your Rock-It.
4. Make sure you lock the safte catch on the trap door!
5. start boat moving forward. Motors of 10HP or less should be moving at moderate speed.
6. Now it's time to put our Rock-it overboard on the port (left) side and play out the rope. Be careful not to get your fingers or any tackle caught in rope. Don't throw Rock-it overboard - gently place it in water with the nost cone facing in the same direction as the boat is moving.
7. If speed is too slow, Rock-It will sink. Increase speed until Rock-It rides on the surface of the water. Your Rock-It will work most effectively if it rides just in front of the port side wake of your boat on a sort of downhill plane of water. This helps it rotate. As you look backward, your Rock-It should be riding just to the right and in front (outside) of your wake.
8. Adjust your speed so that Rock-it makes the maximum vigorous vertical agitation (rocking up and down - where do you think we got the name, anyway?). NOTE: Rotation does not need to be fast. Just steady. This is the part where you can adjust the length of rope you use to find the optimum length that works with your boat.
9. If you over-scale by pulling your Rock-it too long, it will not damage the skin or flesh of your catch, but it may cause damage to the head and fins. We suggest you try 100 yards at a time and check off and on until you find the optimum distance for your boat.
10. It will take LESS DISTANCE to clean soft-scaled fish like crappie, and more distance for hard-scaled fish like bream and bluegill. That's why it's a good idea to check after every 100 yards. You can also use your Rock-It to "de-slime" catfish - but a much shorter run is required for this than for normal scaling.Content copyright 2009-2011. Rodex. All rights rese

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Roger, that's the one i tried. Was very poorly made at that time. The top connection broke off when i was trolling it. Had to mark it up as a loss as it sank very quickly. Sent them a note and the top hoop but never heard back from them as i bought it on ebay. Would like to try one of spoonfeeders' buddy's setup tho.

·
630 Posts
I had tried one of the "tow scaler" like the Rock-it. It worked ok just was small if you had 150+ perch had to do 3 or more batches. Also there instructions are not the greatest. You need to pull it at 15-18 mph depending on boat for about 8 minutes for 60 perch and up to 12 minutes for 150+ perch. That is way my friend built these bigger ones.

I am not sure if I can post price in this thread. Maybe a admin can ok it.

I will be getting more close up pics and dimensions this weekend for those wanting to make there own. Will post them in a new thread.

Larry
Soonfeeder on 79
Sent via Droid Bionic

·
Registered
44 Posts
A freind of mine made one from an old cloths drier needs to be gas for 110 electric motor and installed a reostat switch to controll the speed. He punched holes in the drum from outside in and stagered the holes probably 150-200 or more of them the jagged edge acts as a blade and pulls off scales as it tumbles. Installed a garden hose to run water over the drum at a low rate. It took some trial and error to get it right but in the end it does work well It does about 60 perch in about 20 minutes kind of slow compared to commercial but we sit back and have a few coctails while we wait.
Good idea if you have the time and means to do it. Sorry no pictures at this time and not sure when I will be out to his camp again will try soon.

Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts