Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perch fished North of the vermilion river about 2 miles in 38 ft of water. 3 guys 47 fish, size ran a little small. It was a very lite bite, I switched to a sinker and a single hook in the afternoon and out fished the other guys using spreaders. The headboat out of the v ran 14 miles to catch 15 perch! That's the report I got anyway. I wanted to run to the 27/14 but, the waves first thing in the morning were rolling pretty good (they didn't let up either)and I said screw it. Is there a public launch out of the Black river in Lorain? thanks, Billy

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That's route 57 in downtown lorain, Black River launch is a few blocks before route 6 on east side of street, otherwise take 57 north straight past route 6, past police station, curve left, at waterworks, go down steep drive on west side of building and you have free Hoterwaters launch.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think Hotwaters launch is the better choice. It is much closer to the lake, free launch and Hotwaters Bait Shop is right there. Has been opening at 6 AM. Ramps were in good shape on Wednesday 9/25 when I was last there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's route 57 in downtown lorain, Black River launch is a few blocks before route 6 on east side of street,
It's off 14th st. Small bait and tackle shop, Grumpys. No fish cleaning. It's a bit of a no wake run to the lake.

Launch fee $4. There are 4 ramps, one for kayaks and plenty of additional docks. Ramps are somewhat sheltered from the NE wind and are in good condition. Plenty of paved parking.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Spreaders and other wire type contraptions screw up the sensitivity of your perch lines. Direct tie your snelled hooks to your line with a palomar knot on a bite of the line. No snaps or swivels and a hook next to a 1/2 or 3/8 ounce sinkers. Sensitivity is the secret to really outfish the guys on your boat. One line only and hold the pole in your hand at all times.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, been launching out of the vermilion river for now just cause i know where it is. Lorain gets me closer to the numbers I usually fish. I will have to do a little exploring! Jim, I defiantly agree, when the fish are biting lite one hook is the way to go. I may experiment with it more when the fish are biting better as well. You can fish really fast that way too. I tried some perch fly rigs and shrimp on spreaders. The white bass liked the fly rigs and I did catch a couple nice perch on shrimp, but those where the only two. I think if you have the fish under the boat, the shrimp and fly rigs might work, but may have to have some minnies down to keep them there. I dont know, I'm going to experiment with the fly rigs and shrimp some more. It was hard getting a good bite going yesterday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts