3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read !

OUTDOORS
State lowers perch bag limit
Thursday, April 05, 2007
D'Arcy Egan
Plain Dealer Columnist
Ohio is lowering the sportsmen's daily bag limit for yellow perch from 40 to 30 fish per day and cutting commercial fishing catch limits to 2006 levels.

"Our goal as managers is to stay flexible, stay informed and be ready to adapt when change is needed," said Director Sean Logan of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. "We intend to make management of this valuable resource a top priority."

Logan presented the new perch regulations to the Ohio Wildlife Council on Wednesday. He said Gov. Ted Strickland is ready to issue an emergency order to make the new perch limits effective in 90 days.

Advertisement

The decision was made after the Lake Erie Committee of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission reduced Lake Erie's 2007 lake wide total allowable catch from 9.9 million to 5.4 million pounds, which included 2.8 million pounds for Ohio. The sharp cut was the result of poor hatches and slumping fish stocks. The Lake Erie Committee is made up of fisheries experts from Ohio and Ontario, the two major stake holders, as well as Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York.

Ohio's perch bag limit was increased to 40 fish and Ohio commercial fishing quotas were increased for the 2006 season after positive reports to the Lake Erie Committee. Legislation failed in 2006 to buy out of the Ohio commercial industry, which had been plagued by a poaching scandal.

Rep. Tim Grendell of Chesterland has since introduced legislation that would add commercial fishing restrictions and license hikes.

"We're working with Sen. Grendell on the legislation as it's been introduced," Logan said. "We don't want a particular user group to be a burden on our resources."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

[email protected], 216-999-5158

And our legisaltors refused to buy out those commercial guys late last year. Now we have to Pay !!

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
That is an announcment regarding the TAC (Total Allowable Catch). I don't see anything on the ODNR webpage concerning lowering bag limits. Two totally different subjects. I don't think it would be a bad idea for perch, this past fall was the worst I have seen it in 20 years, last spring was good though !:D
Your right, my bad. I didn't read all the way through, just the headline. Sorry!

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
We did very good off of Cleveland E72nd last fall. Limit every time except for 2 trips in mid-December and December 30th.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
According to D'arcy Egan we are back to 30. We didn't limit out to many times last year. Was still alot of small ones. The change doesn't bother me. The weather does though. Good Fishing

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Just read this on the Seagrant discussion site!!

The Ohio Division of Wildlife has announced that an Executive Order will immediately lower the yellow perch bag limit on Lake Erie from 40 fish per day to 30 fish per day, effective Monday, April 9, 2007. In explaining the need for this reduction, the Division made the following points:

• Ohio’s perch quota in 2007 is 34% lower than that from 2006, reflecting recent scientific assessments of perch abundance in Lake Erie that were lower than expected.

• Reducing the bag limit will bring the expected Ohio sport catch in line with its quota allocation.

• The reason that we are not following our normal rule-making schedule (typically done the fall before the fishing season) is because data in-hand last fall did not indicate declines of this magnitude in the 2007 quota.

• Commercial quota allocations to Ohio netters will be similarly reduced before their season opens May 1(no rule change is required).

• Reducing the bag limit and commercial quota allocation in 2007 is a responsible management action to address a decline in perch abundance in Lake Erie.
Information on the reduced perch quota allocation was not available when the 2007 regulations were written last summer, so the 2007 Ohio fishing regulations brochure will erroneously list the daily bag limit as 40 fish per day.

Help get the word out -- as of Monday, April 9, the Ohio yellow perch bag limit drops to 30 fish per day.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wonder how this will be enforced early in the season since the fishing regulations book still states 40 fish. I have no problems with the reductions, I wonder what kind of an impact this will have on the bait shops and chater services.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
yeah lewzer only one fish on dec 30 but was nice to get out that late in the year

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
I haven't seen this actual change yet. ODNR's website still says 40 and I haven't seen a press release of this yet.

Are we sure this is in fact the case?

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Won't effect me any, I have had a boat limit of 50 for many years. Don't want to clean any more than that. Now if someone wants to share in the cleaning duties, than maybe that would change. I wonder if he will get the hint.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
I haven't seen this actual change yet. ODNR's website still says 40 and I haven't seen a press release of this yet.

Are we sure this is in fact the case?
Read the WHOLE article...
Logan presented the new perch regulations to the Ohio Wildlife Council on Wednesday. He said Gov. Ted Strickland is ready to issue an emergency order to make the new perch limits effective in 90 days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that this is a good action taken by the ODNR. I am glad that they are taking action now in an effect to try and save the perch fishing for years.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
I don't have the numbers before me but if Ohio anglers and commercial fisherpeople only took , say.... 60% of the TAC last year and the perch population is on the way down...doesn't that say something about the process by which they determine TAC?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
When Ohio failed to approve the commercial fishermen buy out last year this will probably seal the fate of the lake erie perch. With todays modern technology the commercial guys are more efficient than in the past. While lake erie is huge in comparision to our inland lakes it is tiny in comparision to the oceans. Oceans were once thought to be a never ending source of fish yet strict commercial regulations were passed to protect some of the more highly desired species.

It does not take much imagination to realize that if the technology is effective enough to decimate fish populations in the, oceans lake erie is comparatively like " shooting fish in a barrel ". I fear that before I die I will see the perch on the extinct listing as far as lake erie goes. Lowering or raising the limit on sport fishing will have no appreciable effect on the brood populations. Sport fishing is just not efficient enough , nets are though when placed with digital assistance.

Where one or two greedy fishermen would not wreck the bass populations of say mosquito or pymatuning what would be the result if these same people fished a private one acre pond ?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
im no biologist but I can't help but wonder if the perch numbers are suddenly down because the 03 year class of eyes just got big enough to eat up the midsize 6-8" perch. The eyes are now 16-21 inches. Its a huge increase in predation that just wasn't there before.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts