Ohio Game Fishing banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Bowhunter 1487, That could have been the difference between a new boat and nothing in the Brawl. If you catch a big one in the fall should you knock it on the head right away to avoid a tragedy like this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will look for and post pic of dead cormorant guy cut open with 100 baby perch in it. Its in computer somewhere,I will post as soon as I find it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So why are these conditions not affecting the walleye population throughout the lake? Easy, the majority of Lake Erie walleye are migratory, and they get to enjoy the best of both worlds. They get to hatch and grow in the western basin which is currently packed with the plankton needed during this vital time. Once established they then migrate throughout the entire lake to cleaner/cooler water. Meaning the effects of poor water conditions (lack of plankton) in the eastern 2/3 of Ohio does not necessarily affect numbers of mature fish in those areas. Perch are not migratory fish, they spawn, grow, and live in a relatively local area in which they were born. Currently, the eastern 2/3 of the state simply does not have the water conditions available to allow perch populations to thrive. These conditions most likely explain the decrease in emerald shiner populations as well. It only takes a few bad recruitment classes to have a huge impact on spawning success. Lake Michigan has been dealing with this since the mid 90’s and their perch population has been decimated.
The perch fishing on Lake Michigan is great and has been great for a while now the problem for most anglers is being able to get out to where they’re at. The winds on the south end are a constant battle for the right conditions. But when conditions and water clarity are good it is game on.

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,149 Posts
I will look for and post pic of dead cormorant guy cut open with 100 baby perch in it. Its in computer somewhere,I will post as soon as I find it.
the Comorants do eat a crapload of them, but most of those buggers are in western basin, the islands in particular, don't think they like to fly very far for dinner, and that perch population at least seems to be holding its own ... the netters must pay lobbyists a boatload to keep their permits and licenses, it's a few jobs but can't be that many, and they're not even 12 month jobs, 7 - 8 months tops, and not particularly high paying either ... the results are obvious, but we're talking government agencies here, so takes a year or 6 for them to filter thru all the facts :rolleyes: and if Canada continues to abuse, it doesn't make a lot of difference in the long run ... enforcement of existing rules for the netters and consequences for breaking them would go a long way, the pictures of dead fish floating around that were to small to keep is a shameful waste ... we could stop it ourselves if we just stop buying the perch for $17+ a pound, let them sell it in Canada ...

·
Administrator
9,442 Posts
Dear KaGee, Which post is political? I find that I am completely " tone deaf " in this new society evolving around us. I honestly can't tell what someone is going to find offensive.
That's because the offending posts were removed.

Reactions: Burkcarp1

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ron Y. I have posted such pictures of cormorants with dozens and dozens of small perch in their guts. Your point is well taken as they eat everyday. Shoot em

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bait Guy. I guess you have never been around Edgewater to see all the Comorants around C-Town. There are lots.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,356 Posts
Agreed the cormorant population is exploding and its showing everywhere. They are all over inland lakes in the ne. I fish ladue a lot and there are thousands there all summer. Didn't start seeing them till like 3 years ago. The lake had a huge white perch problem. My opinion that isn't the case anymore but now im betting the natural fish numbers are going to plummet the next couple years. Based on how much they eat daily it wouldn't take much for them to wipe out inland lake populations

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,149 Posts
Bait Guy. I guess you have never been around Edgewater to see all the Comorants around C-Town. There are lots.
laugh no, it's been quite a while, I haven't been there in probably 20 years, I try to stay away from that insanity as much as possible ... but I know they're branching out all over ... not sure what the big conservation issue is with them, they certainly aren't in any sort of endangered species territory, ought to be able to thin that herd pretty easy ...

·
Chris
484 Posts
The perch fishing on Lake Michigan is great and has been great for a while now the problem for most anglers is being able to get out to where they’re at. The winds on the south end are a constant battle for the right conditions. But when conditions and water clarity are good it is game on.
I would love to see the data to back that up. I can provide plenty of data that says otherwise if you would like. Again the data is available if you look for it. Except for a few bays off the main lake and some very localized waters the perch fishing in Lake Michigan has been decimated for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have plenty of cormorants in PA waters too. We have had them for years. While they do eat some perch, I don't think they are the cause of the major plummet in numbers. In 2018 we were catching limits of perch with little effort here in PA. Over the last 2 years we have targeted them maybe 6 times and haven't caught more than a half dozen per trip.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
We have plenty of cormorants in PA waters too. We have had them for years. While they do eat some perch, I don't think they are the cause of the major plummet in numbers. In 2018 we were catching limits of perch with little effort here in PA. Over the last 2 years we have targeted them maybe 6 times and haven't caught more than a half dozen per trip.
it is very easie to figure out where is the problem.
when perch comarcial fishing was baned in western base,all the quota was shifted and filed from centrall and east base .
what could be the problem ? overharvesting managment problem.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
the perch are mooving,you catch them close to shore,later you catch them 15 miles out.if they moove 15 miles then they can moove 50 miles to each side.mooving 50 miles west from PA end up in ohio and canadian nets.
in my estimate ohio comercial net kiled last year 8 milion perch and how many kiled by canadians ?
that is big nombers dead perch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Response from Eric Weimer Fishery Biologist Supervisor Sandusky Fisheries Research Station
The Division of Wildlife policy is to allocate 35% of Ohio’s lakewide yellow perch Total Allowable Catch (TAC) to commercial fishing at current population levels. By ‘lakewide’ I mean the total TAC for Ohio waters of Management Unit 1, 2 and 3 (West Basin and Central Basin). Rather than move commercial effort into MU 1 or MU3, we are allocating a very small commercial quota in MU2. The MU2 quota for 2021 is the smallest quota allocated to the commercial fishery in MU2 since commercial quotas began in 1996 and represents a 70% decrease from the 2020 quota (which was the smallest until this year). Allocating a very small quota in MU2 is intended to reduce crowding/conflicts in MU1 and avoid increasing harvest in MU3 where population trends are declining as well

101 - 120 of 153 Posts