Ohio Game Fishing banner

81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,236 Posts
Walleye will not go into a black hole like a trap net. The Canadians using gill net catch everything that swims through.
If commercial gets caught 3 times cheating they loose license for 10 years. Not worth risking their livelihood.
"Walleye will not go into a black hole like a trap net" really. can you point me to a study on this. seriously... i'd like to check out the science. (i am a bit of a scientist myself...)

what fish are the netters tossing back into the lake if not walleye? i think i may have to pull on the dive gear this summer and take out the cameras on a nice calm clear day. i have seen the nets from above but not from below. wonder what they look like down there?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
every net work as gill net,when you have 1" mash,every fish with size 1" head swim in the mash to go true,cen get true and cen not get back it is stuck in the mesh with gils.
i wonder what hepen to every fish like that ?
i know the fish get realesed when they pul the trap net and relesing the fish with baisbol bat ,beting the net wing.
i am sure they live fine.
did you ever use dip net for minows ?how many minows you had stuck with gils in neting ?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Guys most of this data is available if you just look for it. I haven't been able to find the 2020 annual report yet, but it should be coming soon as they are usually released in late March. Here is the 2019 report, it has more information than one would ever need on the subject. 2019 commercial yellow perch catch in Ohio waters was 930,963 pounds. It also shows contrary to many claims, commercial catches of perch have continued in the western basin (Toledo to Huron) at least in 2019 with 193,243 pounds from district 1.
View attachment 467177 View attachment 467178 View attachment 467179
Thanks for sharing this - longtime fisherman, first time reader. Be good to read the 2020 one, and see the changes. I think it’s all about finding the right “balance”. Adjusting the perch limits lower is probably the right thing to do for awhile. I quit fishing for them a few years ago. Purely based on low catch rates. Not worth the effort. Trade off is more eyes, less perch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just talk to the trap netters, they do not get walleye in their nets. Ask ODNR as they trap samples too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have to follow the logic that good Perch fishing returned in the Western Basin when the jets were banned. The netters moved east, Perch fishing declined in the central basin. Sorry for the netters, but I do feel they are at least a big part of the problem and should be reduced or eliminated. Or change the rules so that any hook & line fisherman can sell his legally caught fish, then the letters need to change to hook & line fishing also.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,861 Posts
Ron Y The netters were prohibited from WB around 2008 and not allowed back until 2016 or so. With just a few exceptions a couple of those years. They have been limited in the WB since allowed back.

This is fact and can be seen in the charts posted by Puge on page 3 of this post. 1617194190954.png

Rickerd

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,861 Posts
and mysteriously the perch population in the WB rebounded in 5 years, followed by great hatches of walleye which are never caught in the nets either. I'm just sayin.....

So it took 5 years for the perch in WB to rebound after nets prohibited. Successful perch hatches began again in 2013, and it is clear to me the hatches since have been better than the previous hatches prior to 2008 when the nets were in the basin. Then walleye also rebounded in 2015 until the present. The expanding lake levels recently might also help but the higher lake levels have been only last 3 springs I believe.

Keep in mind, during that time, I may not be able to see the wind, but I can tell you the direction its blowing from.
Rickerd

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Some very interesting statistics are being shown on this posting. But there’s one that’s missing and that is the one that was taken by the state survey workers at the ramps and marinas. I would think that those stats should of made the state aware that something was going on with the perch population in specific areas.I know a lot of you have been asked about your catch for the day by them. Just wondering if those stats were ever recorded or even considered. Most of us don’t have any type of degree but one thing we all have and that is in the field experience and that should of been used as a parameter over 5yrs ago.Just my most humble opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some very interesting statistics are being shown on this posting. But there’s one that’s missing and that is the one that was taken by the state survey workers at the ramps and marinas. I would think that those stats should of made the state aware that something was going on with the perch population in specific areas.I know a lot of you have been asked about your catch for the day by them. Just wondering if those stats were ever recorded or even considered. Most of us don’t have any type of degree but one thing we all have and that is in the field experience and that should of been used as a parameter over 5yrs ago.Just my most humble opinion.
Where do you think the sport harvest numbers come from in the provided table? It is estimated from the creel interviews that you are asking about. All of that data is public property.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
It's been leading to this the past 25 years after the zebra muscle explosion. The Central basin being the worst impacted. The muscle filters the plankton, the shiners feed on the plankton, no plankton, shiners gone, no shiners, perch are gone. Very rarely are there schools of Emeralds in or around Cleveland. Thats what brings the perch, food. Even the walleye caught are skinny and undernourished due to no shiners, so what do they eat, perch. West nursery doesn't have this problem, neither does the far East due to triple digit depths.It doesn't take a degree to figure whats happening. Dropping the limit won't do squat in the Central water, their just not there and neither is the bait chain.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I’ll share a second hand account from Canada. I worked in Toronto from 2015 to 2019. A coworker fishes Lake O and Lake Erie. Anyway, he was at Port Erieau walleye fishing the summer of 2018 and normally you can buy fresh perch right there at the docks. He inquired and they told him the commercial fishermen had not been getting significant catches for a couple years out Erieau. This is directly across from Cleveland. Just one data point that same problem exists on the other side of the border. The recreational fisherman’s attitude in Canada seems to be to leave Lake Erie to the commercial fishermen because they have outstanding perch and walleye fishing on their vast array of inland lakes.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
idk ive caught a boat load of walleye out of cleveland the last few years and i have not seen one perch in any of the walleye ive caught...seen gobies,shad and some shiners but no perch...but i know there are people who have

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have caught a lot of walleye over they years. I have never been a perch in a walleye stomach. I have seen white perch, shiners and shad...but never a perch. Not even in lakes in Northern Ontario that I fish have fished. I have seen sunfish in walleye up north but never perch. I think if you look at how many perch are taken by fishermen and how many perch are taken by netters the action should be taken on the netters. Personally I think ODNR is dropping the ball on the issue in favor of a few netters in Ohio who are profiting big time on their catch. If you look at the retail price of perch and compare that to the price of perch ten years ago they are probably killing it. I would pay a $5 fee to buy out the netters in Ohio. It may take ten years to pay for the buy out perhaps longer but I would do it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Bowhunter, I am not saying that it doesn't happen. I have just observed that the rate of other fish being eaten is much higher than perch. In the fall the walleyes stomachs are bulging with shad. I have never seen a walleye stomach bulging with perch. Nowhere. I still look at the netters for a solution not the hook and line guys. There was one suggestion to make commercial guys use hook and line....but they would probably get permission for 1000 hooks per line and be able to run 100 lines so that hook not an option I would offer them. I think a total ban for 5 years would show if the population could rebound. Perch fry and fingerlings will roam much shallower water than walleye fry and fingerlings. I see schools of baby perch in a foot of water in Canadian lakes. I would imagine they would hang around the shoreline of Lake Erie just the same. Perhaps 5 years could make an impact. I do know that nobody that I fish with or that I know tries for perch. Now nobody will with a 10 limit

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dear KaGee, Which post is political? I find that I am completely " tone deaf " in this new society evolving around us. I honestly can't tell what someone is going to find offensive.

81 - 100 of 153 Posts