close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Perch Frenzy At Presque 3-17

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by bassmastermjb, Mar 17, 2005.

1. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

I decided to give the gills a break and concentrated just on the perch today.All I can say is if there's a Presque Isle in heaven they can take me now.I managed about 100 perch on the day.The 20 I brought home weighed somewhere in the vacinity of 30lbs.with 5 in the 2lb class.I got there at 5:00am and it was non-stop action for an hour.I couldn't get my second rod in the water till about 7:00.I was going to move at 10:00 because the fishing had slowed and had 1 rod put away and was reaching for the 2nd rod when the bobber went down and I had one.Dropped it back down and had another.Back down again and had another.So I decided to stay put.I caught 60+ in the next 4 hours and they were all huge.So if your there and it slows, just stay put and the schools will come through.I left at 3:00pm.I also caught a small walleye and what I thought was a record perch turned out to be a 5lb catfish.I fished out by the yacht club in 12ft of water( a good 1/2 mile walk) and caught the perch many different ways, 1/2 minnow, whole minnow, 2 minnows, jig and maggots and jigging spoons. The ice was still 10" in the bay and the shore ice was about 6".You all should be good to go this weekend.Also, Hansen's and BAC have been getting there late, close to 6:00am.Poor Richards is open at 5:00am and if possible get your lake shiners a day before so you can be on the ice at 5:00am.you won't be disappointed.

2. Thanks for the update
    Looks like a road trip this weekend

3. Nice job Mark. I've heard the last two years, that when the ice starts to go, the perch get all kinds of wacky.

To those heading up this weekend, be safe and catch a bunch!!!

4. Bassmastermjb
    I taking my father to presque tomorrow.Are you getting on the ice from the park or city side? I need to get him the shortest walk. If you could help me I'd be very thankful!!!!
    Steve

5. bassmastermjb

Steve, I've only gone out from the park side and would not know where to park on the city side.Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.Also, the ice should be very slick this weekend, don't forget the creepers.What day are you heading up?I might make 1 more trip this weekend.......Mark

6. Heading up Saturday am be on channel 6-0 more than likely spend the weekend depending on the ice conditions give me a shout
    Geowol
    George

7. Mark,
    Thanks for the reply.Looks like we will try to start at lot #2.Wont get on the ice to around 8am and try to stay later.Hope the rain holds off till dark!
    on 6-0, george will give you a shout when we get holes drilled.
    Steve
    Thanks again for the replies!

8. Well we didnt ever find the keeper perch but, with thanks out to BASSMASTERMJB for his suggestion on where to head,we were able to get back on some fish.Those little perch are so cute! Surely not the numbers or the size we get use to sometimes but all in all a great day was had.
    Dad makes the trip from Napoleon,Oh. and will drive about anywhere to get on the ice.
    George did you stay and fish Sunday? Did the bite ever turn on?
    Good talking with you guys.
    Steve

9. Fished until dark on saturday moved around just could find the keeper perch ended up with 5 10"ers on saturday didnt mess with the gills at all
    talked with on guy that had a bucket full on nice perch he said he had to keep on the move. Ice was still 7" Shore line going bad
    Sunday went to the bay the shore line ice was going away fast only a few people out decided not to go out drove around and checked out the city side the marina had good shore line ice the dive teams were doing ice rescue practice that was pretty cool to watch.
    It was good to talk with Full Choke too bad we couldnt get something going
    Well all good things must come to an end its time put the ice stuff away and get the Champion out.
    Thanks to all for the great ice info 10 months to go until next time
    Geowol
    George

10. bassmastermjb

Steve, it was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday, too bad the conditions took a turn for the worse.Tuesday and Thursday it was sunny and the winds were from the south, also did not see a smelt on the vex those 2 days.Saturday comes and it's cloudy with the winds from the north and the smelt were everywhere I went.I did manage my limit of perch with only 5 in the 1 1/2 lb range and really had to fish hard to find them.It looks like the ice season is over for the year, but it would be nice to meet up with you soon.If you're in the area, stop in to see bait shop.I'll be opening in 2-3 weeks.....Mark