Ohio Game Fishing banner

Perch food

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  MrEdd 
#1 ·
Perch fishing 52fow NW of Cleveland Crib, 2 tickets, 5 hours, Whew!
Ive been fishing for perch on the lake for 21 years & seen something I have not seen before. The food the perch had in their mouth I when I brought them in the boat I have never seen before, stringy brown stuff? I have attached a picture of the stuff,
What is it??? Thanks, MrEdd

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Did it smell pretty bad?

#8 ·
Seriously, who yacked on your boat?? That's some nasty looking stuff. I've never seen anything like that in any fish I've caught. Did you put any back on a hook and send it over the side to see if it works?

#12 ·
#13 ·
Those are Bloodworms. I catch saugeye and crappie and gills full of them at indian lake through the ice. They are a 1 inch long larva that is usually bright red live in the soft muck. They wriggle thier way up into the water column and fish eat them like crazy. Ive seen them "swimming" in buckets of stagnant rain water and they just seem to wiggle in place waiting for a fish to eat them. Sounds like they are too abundant right now and might be causing a slow bite.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the info on the worms. Also if others get into them with the worms filled in their mouths, I would hold the perch after taking the hook out & rinse it out in the lake to get all the worms out of its mouth, this helps with the mess in the cooler & when you fillet the fish. MrEdd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.