Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching you tube videos on salting/freezing shiners.

Looks like a good way to preserve your left over bait.

However, I can't find any video on using these shiners.

Do they work on lake Erie yellow perch?

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,574 Posts
What RS said "I use them without issue. If you add some borax, they toughen up pretty well too and stay on the hook better."

The guys at my campground are STILL using preserved emeralds from last years fall netting.
(The price, $10 for a zip bag, COUNTED, was the last straw!!!!)
So, get a 5 gal bucket,,, cover the bottom with borax then add a layer of emeralds,,,, so-on-&-so forth, to the top. When they feel like leather, they're done. Place them on a mess screen and shake off the borax,,, THEN zip bag & freeze. They look perfect.
Save the dried-out borax in that bucket for next time.
(I can't remember about how long it took,,, sorry)

·
Registered
430 Posts
We use frozen salted minnows for trout stream fishing and perch fishing. Keep them cold in a six pack cooler with an ice block. Stick them first through the head cartilage and after fifteen minutes replace them as the warm water makes them mushy. That is if you do not catch a fish first. Drain the moisture off on newspaper and place a handful in a zip lock sandwich bag. Add some salt, seal the bag after you remove most of the air. Put them in your freezer that is set at “real cold” and keep them in the small cooler till you are ready for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.