Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather forecast, wave predictions etc permitting over the next 2 wks we are trying to plan a day trip up to erie from ventral oh to try our hand at some perch fishing. I grew up fishin em in upstate NY but am green for erie.

I am most familiar with the Catawba/ port Clinton area as I go across to middle bass island/ PIB a few times a yr. is there good perch in that area this time of yr? Any info would be greatly appreciated, depth general areas etc. no I'm not asking for your prime time hit spots just looking for general advice.

Would be willing to launch elsewhere if needed.

What bait shops do you recommend? And do they have fishing reports I can stay in tune with.

Seems like the walleye are hittn as well, but to be honest I wouldn't know how to target them. Perch Are easy enough just need to find them.

A site like this is amazing to learn more about an area before you head out. If you don't want to post on here feel free to PM me. I appreciate any and all info.

I know the risks associated with erie and have all safety ep required and I use common sense. Thanks

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
The rule of thumb is the further east ya go, the bigger the perch. With that in mind, Cleveland to PA line will likely give ya bigger fish.

Watch the reports and pick the place that looks best.

We use emerald shiners for bait with either a spreader or crappie rig at the bottom. Crappie rigs let ya present bait at three depths near the bottom (our preference). Spreaders present baits at the same depth.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
If your going to spend the $$ I would just fish Conneaut. Stop at Snug Harbour and get your shiners and Jack will tell you where they were last catching them. The nicer the weather, the better the perch jerking has been.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, the portclinton and Catabwa areas I am most familiar with but am willing to venture elsewhere to get on some fish, we are mostly looking for a good time. Any other advice would be great, thank you

·
Home of the Tru Trips
183 Posts
The Island areas produce lots of nice catches year around. I will not argue that they run larger out east, most catches in the P. C. area will average 3 to the pound, some go heavier. A big box of perch is awesome to see, But it is funny to watch the 8 inchers always get gobbled up first. Areas to try.....the can line.....ratelsnake-green Is area........Gull......north bass.....kellys shoal........east of the airport on kellys.......and many more. GOOD LUCK !

Dan

www.bigfishtuff.com

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
If you launch at Mazurik and head for Kelley's, you'll likely see a perch pack or 2 S of Kelley's. If you go up the W side, they will likely be off the stone dock, off the Square rock or off the chaulky bluff at the NW corner. If you go up the E side the SE corner, off the airport hump or E or N of Kelley Shoal.

If you cicled S Bass you'd find perch packs on both sides of it.

A check with the bait store ...be it Rickards, HiWay, or Fishermen's Warf they will lead you in the right direction.

Rigs are spreaders or crappie rigs. Best bait is shinner minnows. Good luck.

Check Spoonfeeder's posts or home page, he's works em pretty hard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim thanks for the solid info! Ill check out that launch. What depths are they holdin in around Kelly's an S bass? Just trying to gather enough info.

Was up on middle bass/ PIB last weekend for Christmas in July, unfortunately not in a state to do any fishing. Kickin myself I didn't bring my boat up fri weather was amazin

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
We got them last Friday in 45-47 fow on the south east edge of the pack north of Kelley's. half minnow produced yellows full minnows almost all trash. Even got a few on buckshot rattle spoons with just the heads. Last Friday was awesome on the lake rest of the weekend not so much. There were plenty of walleyes hanging around the shoal as well. Seen people getting them on dipsies, tru trips I was getting them on inlines and seen a few caught casting. We launched from mazuriks and got the shiners from hi way. Very good scoops and nice people that are willing to help put you on fish. I've got a camper in penninsula so i can hit a driver to hi way so it's the only shop I go to.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the info! Keep it coming, seeing these perch an walleye reports on here has me itchin to make the 2 hr treck. With our smaller 17'6 deep v boat, weather forecast an buddies an I work schedule it's tough but ill make it happen. I own a small. Bizz so it's easier if I have a "sick" day once in a blue moon lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've went a mile north out of mazuriks and caught limits. Same with Catawba. A lot of people swear by leaving the motor running for a bit to lure them in.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
I will be up fishing Island area all next week. Mainly perching. I will post some reports on here for ya.

·
Something smells Fishy!!!
850 Posts
Going up to Port Clinton on Thursday to spend some time at the condo. Just getting back into fishing and I thought I'd check out a head boat to do some Perch fishing. Total newbie and will take the information posted in this thread to help me catch some dinner :D
Sorry for the thread hijack

·
Registered
841 Posts
Someone just posted a fresh report VERY close to the Catawba ramp, with limits of 8" fish 1/2 mile NW of the Green bouy that you can see from the dock. Sounded like it was an afternoon bite, real convienient if you are a party animal.......let us know how you do, HT

·
Capt Jeff
1,710 Posts
Conneaut , Ohio is just about automatic for coughing up limits of world class yellow perch . It's easy to find at the end of state rt 7. Near the oh/ pa line . Nice ramps there . You'll wanna go straight out north to 60 foot and start watching the graph and anchor up. I prefer to avoid the packs but you will easily see them. 2 perch to the lb is very doable there .

Good luck
Captain Jeff

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the stars can align this weekend and wave reports stay within a safe range
We may be able to make a trip up with our boat to target some perch, buddy is off work for the weekend Read a report about some catches not far out of Catawba. We'll see been itchin to get up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts