Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to stop having to pay $30 or more for bait every time I take the family out perching. I read shrimp and bacon work good to, anyone have any actual experience with this, both are far cheaper. Any other good suggestions?

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's up Ryan, I'll try it in a few. What's the easiest way to pop the eyes out? Just pop them out with your thumb?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looking to stop having to pay $30 or more for bait every time I take the family out perching. I read shrimp and bacon work good to, anyone have any actual experience with this, both are far cheaper. Any other good suggestions?
I was catching them when I was up two weeks ago on pieces of night crawlers about 1"-2" long, using a spreader with worm on one side and shiner on the other, some decent size perch at that,

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like that Umbrella Net idea, how does that work exactly. You spot a school of bait and drop it or what? Looked for some videos and can't find anything but did find the nets on eBay. Get 2 of them and hook em to my down riggers, that'd be cool.

·
O-Z-DOG
390 Posts
An old dude I used to fish with would cut off the pelvic fins along with a little meat and they tore it up. His voice still rings in my head "yea...this is illeagle in Wisconsin". I used to get prettty pissed about the mess he made of my boat but lookin back we always tore them up.

That was the days when NAS was still open in Marblehead, you talk about a shop that would do you right!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gulp has gulp alive minnows in sizes from 1" all the way up to 4" there the baits that come in the tubs of there special "juice" you can also get them in packages of 8 or 12 I forget what the exact number is. A buddy of mine fished for perch with another friend who was using live minnows and caught he said maybe a little less with the gulp but caught larger perch. Hope this helps

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,868 Posts
I went to va beach last year and came back with many packs of bait called "fish bites" I didn't want to waste them or let them dry out, so I tried them. they worked great for spot and croaker in saltwater, so I figured why not. I think I caught more perch on the fish bites than shiners. all you do is cut a small 1/2" strip, thread it on the hook and go to town. you can get them on line im sure, the best thing about them is there's a mesh inside of the strip and you can catch several fish on the same piece.

I looked for a link and see they make freshwater ones too. I used the saltwater ones because its what I had.

I used the bloodworm.

http://www.tackledirect.com/fishbites.html

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
I went to va beach last year and came back with many packs of bait called "fish bites" I didn't want to waste them or let them dry out, so I tried them. they worked great for spot and croaker in saltwater, so I figured why not. I think I caught more perch on the fish bites than shiners. all you do is cut a small 1/2" strip, thread it on the hook and go to town. you can get them on line im sure, the best thing about them is there's a mesh inside of the strip and you can catch several fish on the same piece.

I looked for a link and see they make freshwater ones too. I used the saltwater ones because its what I had.

I used the bloodworm.

http://www.tackledirect.com/fishbites.html
As easy as it was to get a batch of shiners with that umbrella net in your Smelt video.. I was pretty surprised! Seemed a little too easy, or are they everywhere like that?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the best luck using my net around the docks and walls at places like edge water or east 72 in the evening but they are either there or their not. Once I find them I throw them on ice right away. Then freeze with salt. I like to try to keep them dry I've found they seam to last a little longer on the hook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Amazing
364 Posts
How many minnows you buying. 30 bucks is like 14 dozen. I had 8 dozen saturday and caught at almost 140 fish and still had about 40 left over... your best results will be with minnows and if anything cut them in half

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are dried salted minnows better that fresh minnows? Not sure why you would do that. I would be interested in trying but what is the best way to do it?

Dagojoe

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can not say if dead salted minnows are better or worse but i figure i normaly use the died ones out of the bucket anyways and never seem to have a problem.

·
Capt Jeff
1,710 Posts
Very simple... Net shiners in the spring time, put them in freezer bags alive after draining off water and when perch season comes your set . I catch and freeze so many though I spend $40 for bait permit . Haven't bought bait in 5 years .

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Double J. Do you salt them too? What is the purpose of adding salt. (LOL, my brother in law said I should do it in case we don't catch any fish we can eat the minnows)....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I buy the cups with over 3 dozen frozen for $2. I have fished beside many people that only use live and we had the same results at far less cost. I like this way also because i can bring way more than i need and just keep them frozen and rotate every time out, never run out if we get into trash fish.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts