close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Peppers?

Discussion in 'Home & Garden' started by Ant, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Ant

Ant

Ok my tomatoes are growing like crazy but my peppers I put in at the same time arent budging.Any Ideas?They just keep puting on flowers that I keep pruning.Bigest one is only about 4 inches tall.I put them out right after mothers day.

2. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

If they're flowering and not growing, it sounds like they need a shot of Nitrogen. Nitrogen helps grow roots and foliage. Have you fertilized?

3. Ant

Ant

Yes 2 times so far with maricle gro I dont like to use it but They need some size before they fruit.

4. buckeyebowman

Wow, that's kind of amazing! My peppers are growing, just not quite as fast the tomatoes. 'Maters are just going crazy in this heat and sun. But I understand that peppers like hot roots as well.

I really don't know what to tell you. In fact, I took my moisture meter into the garden tonight just to check if the plants might use a drink. Every place I stuck it it showed well into the "moist" range. This is after 3 straight days of blazing sun and high temps. I guess we got more rain out of that last storm than I thought.

5. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I like the way a high content of compost and such will make the entire garden bed soak up moisture like a giant sponge or a wick. My beds look dry too but literally scratch the surface like for some light weeding and they're moist underneath.

One thing about peppers, they can look wilted in the really hot mid-day sun, but they're not necessarily dry. Once the heat is off, they spring back up.

6. If you want to add Nitrogen put some grass clippings around them. Only do this if your lawn has not been treated with anything.

7. Ant

Ant

I put some triple 12 around them last night.See if that helps.

8. Top dressed my Tomato's & Pepper Plants with the following home-made fertilizer:

Screened Compost
    Aged Cow Manure
    Coffee Grounds
    Crushed Aspirin
    Powered Lime
    10-10-10

I put 1 cup around each plant

9. buckeyebowman

I think you posted your recipe a while ago, and I wrote it down. It's what I use for my top dressing. Did mine about 2 weeks ago, and will probably do again soon since the freaking downpour last night kind of scattered it around.