Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
c-ya on the water
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was fishing at E72nd st pier last night(Cleveland) not much happening when i decided to walk out on the breakwall, when i got out there i saw a 25lb carp just sitting on the breakwall left to die(no one else around). fourtionatly i arrived in time, he was still alive so i put him back in the water and he swam away:) i just dont understand what is wrong with people or why they would do that!!

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I want to personally thank you for taking the effort to return the fish to the water. I dont know what makes some people be so mean to certain species of fish either.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
well, a lot of people see carp as an overpopulated invasive species. Many people concider them a nusince.

·
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE
1,110 Posts
Excellent!....Thank You Sir!:)

We must do all we can to perserve the
Worlds Greatest Gamefish!

·
c-ya on the water
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
youll have to explain that to me peple because the way i see it they are a great fight on a rod and reel and they clean the lake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to agree with Justin on this one... Iv always loved a good carp fight.. and yes they may be a nuisance species but what are they really doing to make u want to kill them, they clean up the bottom and u cannot possibly say that u dont like the fight they put up when u catch them.. now i can see killing a goby or white perch when caught bc they are simply annoying
JORDAN:G

·
Catch it, then eat it :)
113 Posts
Good for catching but not good for the ecosystem....

Anybody of water can only support so much biomass or pounds of life
carp use a huge amount of the biomass up....lose the carp>frees up biomass for the rest of the native fish... i know one fish isn't goes to change anthing but just throwing that out there.

but they are here to stay so where's the corn?

·
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE
1,110 Posts
Fishslime-Your exactly right.Thats why when you remove
the larger,less numerous carp from a water it opens the
door for boat loads of smaller,far more numerous carp to
take their place in the system.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I wouldn't complain about carp in Erie either. They are one of the few fish that will eat zebra mussels, a truely invasive species. They are also one of the only fish that survived well when humans destroyed many waterways with pollution around Ohio.

The ignorance of people thinking carp destroy spawning beds, they eat bass eggs, etc. is the reason why that fish was left on the wall. You will find stupid people in all walks of life. Good job on returning the fish to the water.

Jake

·
The Catfather
192 Posts
I hate contradictions, you can't call white perch, gobey's and zebra mussels invasive species and not carp just because you like to fish for them. They are all invasive and waterways would be better without any of them.

·
c-ya on the water
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hate contradictions, you can't call white perch, gobey's and zebra mussels invasive species and not carp just because you like to fish for them. They are all invasive and waterways would be better without any of them.
i was unaware that they were not a native species. where did they come from
and how do they hurt the waterways?

·
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE
1,110 Posts
They arrived in the ballast of ships.The Common
Carp on the other hand was imported and stocked
by the U.S Government in the late 1800's.

How do they hurt the waterways?Good question.
I don't have an answer.There is a lot of proaganda
floating around,mostly in the form of 50+ year old
studies rehashed and republished with very little
(if any) modern research to them.They are usually
put out to scapegoat certin species for problems
in our waters almost always created by man to
begin with.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If carp are invasive because they are a non-native species, then why are hybrid striper and saugeye considered a god send? They don't occur naturally, they compete with native species for food supply, and they are stocked year after year.

Its like anything else in this world, its all about how you spin it. White bass are much more prolific breeders than carp, can live in almost any water system, and compete with almost every gamefish in a body of water for food. Yet, when bass populations drop, carp must be eating the bass eggs. Power boats and jet skis are eroding away the shorelines off many lakes around Ohio but the carp is destroying bass spawning habitat. Due to recreational boating lakes have becomed stained from bank erosion but the carp are staining the water from feeding. Rediculous!

Carp have been in American waters for 200 years. I would say they are more native than those saugeye everyone love to catch.

Jake

·
The Catfather
192 Posts
Carp are a non-native species introduced with very little thought. Do they eat other fish eggs, probably not, however they do root up aquatic vegetation, spreading silt on the eggs is just as bad as eating them. Saugeye are usually introduced into areas with declining or underutilized percid fisheries. Saugeye can occur naturally in the Ohio river. The real problem with carp is like in the Mississippi where they estimate that 60% of the fish biomass is a carp species. Something is getting hurt. There's only so much spawing room and organic matter in the food chain. There's no doubt that man has a real affect on the water and real thought should be put into introducing any species. The question shouldn't be if carp are harmful or an introduced exotic species, they certainly are. The real question from the beginning of the post is throwing one up on the bank. I've seen it on the river, people throw drum, gar, suckers, carp etc. on the bank because they are not sportfish. I personally hate to kill anything for no reason. True I kill baitfish to use to catch other fish, but killing that carp is not serving a purpose. In saying that if the DNR decides to eradicate carp in our water via genetic defect or poisoning or whatever, I wouldn't loose any sleep.

·
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE
1,110 Posts
Not mention that NO fish is native to a man made lake!
How many lakes in OH are natural???;)

Also,I believe there is SOME evidence that suggests
that carp were in NA many,many,many centuries before
the white man even knew North America existed!They
were suppose to have been brought via the Land Bridge
in limited quanities.All likely died out in the last Ice Age.
Just something I remember hearing/reading before.

Funny thing is,(and alot of people don't realize) that
the Common Carp was in more waters around the US
before the Largemouth Bass was.Actually,the carp
had been in many waters around the country LONG
before a lot of ''native'' species were!

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Not mention that NO fish is native to a man made lake!

Plenty of fish are native to the 'lakes' we make. We are simply making a huge pool in a river. Fish lived in the river before.

Carp were a mistake that you can blame your fellow Americans for. The damage has been done and the fish aren't going anywhere fast, so killing them for the purpose of helping the waterway is futile. They sure do make a great bow target and fertilizer though:)

As far as carp coming with the people crossing the land bridge some 8-10 thousand years ago....No! I know carp are gross and live out of water for a long time....but for days? These carp have got ya dreamin PAPAYA....;)

·
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE
1,110 Posts
Actually,Mish...Its really quite feasible that fish could be
transported alive via the Land Bridge even by a primative
people.I'm not by any means saying this is fact,just that
it is definately possible.Carp were transported many,many
centuries ago all trough out Europe in water tight sacks by
traveling Monks.So I don't find it that hard to believe that
a few carp fry/fingerlings could be taken on a long journey
in a water filled bag made of Yak or Bear intestines or
whatever!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
i think its funny that people kill carp, gar, and sheaphead because they "kill the smallmouth", or eat the eggs, or eat all the shad in the river. when i have read very little that says anything about these species doing any real damage to other species. carp do root up vegitaion but i still havent read much about them doing damage to other fish, more to native plants. but there is one fish that we fish for that has been proven in studies to be the only fish to do damage to stocked walleye populations, as well as eating more than 80% of smallmouth fry,... and its freakin largemouth bass, i always found that a little ironic
i just think if you dont eat it that day, or use it for bait, dont kill it
unless its a gobby

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think its funny that people think they are helping out the gamefish population by throwing a carp, gar, drum, etc. on the bank. How many carp you think are in Lake Erie, how about the Ohio River? Throwing one fish on the bank, hell throwing 100 fish on the bank, does nothing but stink up the area for other fisherman. You are not going to reduce the population that way and if you think you are, you're a fool. Things that the ODNR tells you not to put back in the water is fine, you need to follow the law. Senselessly killing a fish is nothing more than being wasteful. I hate when people leave their unused bait on shore and I hate it even more when there is dead fish in the weeds.

Jake

1 - 20 of 41 Posts