close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pentel 30 Count Lead Refill Container for lip

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by pizza, Apr 6, 2008.

1. pizza

pizza

While I haven't yet tried it, thought I'd throw out the idea in case anyone wants to experiment. Basically cut the container in half (or sand half of it off and sacrifice the sanded off part) and you have enough for 2, possibly 3 lips from each half. The lips have a built in curve on each side for added wiggle. They would be about the size for large bass, small muskie cranks, jerkbaits, etc.

Also does anyone scuff up the lip with sandpaper where the epoxy meets the lip to get better adhesion?

2. Hello Pizza,

Yes, I always scuff up the lip where it goes in the bait and also drill a couple of 7/64" size holes. The holes form posts that will adhere to the top and bottom. Never had one come out. I always use Lexan (polycarbonate) 1/8" for most musky baits and 1/16" for everything else.

What is the material that the lead comes in???

Rod

3. pizza

pizza

not sure of exact material but it appears similar to lexan. Its clear and looks pretty strong. The thickness is approximately 3/32". Width of container is slightly over 3/4" and there is about 2.5" of useable height to the container. If you used a piece from the bottom portion, you could also have that added "lip" at the bottom of the lip. Might work for fatter bass wobbler crankbaits or smaller muskie baits maybe. A coffin lip using the bottom portion might be pretty cool. Wish it was 1/16" thick though.