close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pen Turning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KSUFLASH, Sep 10, 2007.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have gained some inspiration from Fish On, with his great craftmanship of creating floats. Hence I purchased a wood lathe, and along with it came some pen kits. In order to practice my skills in wood turning, I figured I would give it a go with making a pen. In hopes of practicing on pens, that my skills will be good enough to begin making some bobbers.

Listed below are 2 photos. The first of which is the pen on the wood lathe, and the second being the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cool, I'd say your ready to turn some bobbers!!

Where do you get a lathe that small? I've only saw big ones for making like table legs and such.

3. KSUFLASH

do a search for mini wood lathe. There are many available on ebay and other woodshop websites.

Also available at Harbor Freight.

flash--------------------------------------out

4. thats a nice looking pen

5. WOW! I like that maybe I'll send you a piece of drift wood to carve me a pen. Very, Very nice.

6. KSUFLASH

Here is another that I made last night out of Rosewood last night.

[​IMG]

7. They look great!Do they work or just for show/practice?

8. KSUFLASH

They work well. They use the Cross Pen refills.

flash------------------------out

9. did u get those pen blanks on e-bay? they had quite a few for slae on there.

10. KSUFLASH

I got these blanks from a supplier in Pennsylvania.

Below is last nights pen that I made for my secreatary at work.

[​IMG]

11. KSUFLASH

Below is a new project. Turning a piece of cherry log into something of use. It was going to be a cup, but I think it will function more like a pencil holder...haha...

Some more sanding, prep, and then stain and it should be done.

[​IMG]

flash-------------------------------------out

12. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

sweet pen...can you make me a ZIPS one?!?!?

13. Very nice Flash!!!!!!! I will have to send you some spalted maple or burl!

A fella named Al that owns "Mr Pure Juice Company" It is off Highland road By Crown Hill Cemetary in Twinsburg. He is really really into the pens. I think he belongs to some woodturning associations. Might be worth contacting if you really get into it. Very very helpful!!!!! Again very nice flash.

John

You are hooked now!!!!!!!!! I will be seeing your work in gallery's all over the world!! You will be getting one of those giant variable speed ones that turn 5 foot dia. bowls. I will have to show you some neat tricks for spinning table legs and fancy corners for clocks and cedar chests. I will take some pics for you. Pm me your email flash.

One hint is that you glue 4 pieces together but you put a sheet of paper between them with the glue. Turn your piece........... when done you can split them because the bond is not super strong with the paper, It is strong enought not to fly apart on the lathe. It leaves you a perfect 90 instead of trying to cut them on the saw and loosing the 1/8" waste of the saw blade. Then attach them to raised panels or what ever.

Also OHHHHHHHHHHHHH the musky baits you can make!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Bass poppers also! LOL So many things so little time!!!!!!!! LOL

14. KSUFLASH

Ya, you could say I am hooked.

Turning green wood puts me into a trance. The wood shavings comming off the block like ribbon. Not knowing what is beneath the next layer of wood. And finally turning something from a block of wood into something functional is cool!!!!!

I should have some more cool pics after this weekend to share.

flash------------------------------out

15. KSUFLASH

Below is this weekends work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. very nice!!

I too have gotten into pen/wood turning over the past year. It is a LOT of fun. There are also some nifty lure kits out there that you can turn on the lathe. I think that's going to be one of my next projects...

17. KSUFLASH

Below is what was created from this past weekend.

Amboyna Burl Wood created into a wine bottle stopper, as well as opener if you twist the top out of the stopper.

[​IMG]

Below is a Rosewood Pen

[​IMG]

Below is an Amboyna Burl Pen

[​IMG]

Another angle of the Amboyna Burl Pen

[​IMG]

Pens and Wine botte stopper/opener together.

[​IMG]

18. KSUFLASH

I worked on bobbers this weekend, but my airbrush took a crap. Needle got bent somehow, my paints weren't cooperating, and I somehow got a crack in the air supply hose, so I wasn't able to shoot paint at any significant pressure.

Went to craft supply store and bought a Paasche VL Set, brought it home and my brass fitting to the compressor is differant. I gave up hope for painting this weekend with the airbrush.

I tried spraying some Fluoroesence from a can and it looked like crap. I will have to get my airbrush stuff in order to get a decent result for the bobber tops.

flash-------------------------------out

19. KSUFLASH

Last Nights creation listed below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

those are sweet i may need to put in an order