close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

pc problems (MotherBoard) ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LiquidTension, Oct 25, 2004.

1. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

ok this past weekend my system (no brand/pieces parts) started locking up every 15-20 minutes and anywhere in between. reset-reboot good for another 15 minutes. any program seems to lock. its not a virus/spyware, not a heat issue. Its been touchy from day 1... its a Esc k7vza via chipset with a 850 AMD Thunderbird. from my findings/readings forums and stuff there seems to be issues with Via and Amd and certain manufacturers sound and vid and 4in1.... crappy drivers they all write. i found a latency patch that took care of my infinate sound loop problem/lockup for the last 3 years. now its locking at random. I got a new HD in box (pulled modem and soundcard out) with fresh 98SE.... still locks. I think MB is finally kicking it.

Anyone running an AMD on intel chipset here? Whats your brand MB. I'm kinda partial to AMD.

2. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I'm running a KR7A- 133R mobo with an ATHLON XP 1700+ (1.47ghz) cpu.

Works just fine for me. ;)

3. There are other parts to check before ruling it as the motherboard. You could swap out your memory. I have seen faulty memory cause hard lockups. Also, it could be the processor itself. That one may not be as easy to find another to put in and test it. But if you can it may be worth trying. When it comes down to the processor, often times it is almost as cheap to find a board with a new processor unless you find someone with a used one. It could be the power supply as well. I would want to eliminate these things before going out and buying a motherboard only to find out that the problem may still exist.

Good luck.

4. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I am assuming you meant to say ECS motherboard. In earlier versions of Via chipsets to support AMD's you needed to patch the motherboard. This was a pain in earlier version because you had to do it all manually and you had to do it in a specific order. In this motherboards case they had released the via 4 in 1 drivers which takes care of all of that for you.

My suggestion would be to go to this page and download the 4 in drivers for your mother board Via 4 in 1 Drivers and install them.Also I would make sure you have the latest bios from here ECS Bios Drivers, hopefully you are familair with how to do all of this. Make sure you download the correct drivers for your motherboard. Not having these installed can cause problems like you described.

Then after all is done I would set my bios to a safe operation defaults if they have those options, don't try to go to optimal until you get it stable. Also you may want to check the heatsink, if you have it on backwards or if it is clogged up with dust it will lock up on you as well, with it full of dust it will not appear to get too hot but it does get hot enough to lock the machine up, a little compressed air goes a long way. But since this has just started happening I would go with the 4 in 1 drivers and the bios, maybe something you installed recently overwrote some important files this patch installed for you. have you installed any new programs or hardware before all of this started happening, or did you bump your video card slot up to 4x ?

5. LiquidTension

Yeah, its an Ecs. I loaded the 4in1 off the mb cd-rom....though i'm not sure they're ver. 4.43's maybe i'll try them. i've never flashed bios before....

this board has been wierd from day 1, check this out.....

1st day i get it home and turn it on, nothing but the default background color loads on 1st boot. reset it and boots this time...go through MS's 1st boot stuff... and deduce the builders put on a win98 profiled wrapper install. The vid card driver was a couple back from most recent. so i decide to get other ones installed after a couple days messing with it.... but during those couple days, the thing would never cold boot 1st time in a day.... always took a reset button boot. turn off for more than 3 hours it never booted 1st time powered back on.... if it was still warm, as in just turned off, and rebooted, it would come up. anyway a change of vid drivers took care of that... mmmmmkayyy thats kinda strange,but whatever. :eek:
    then i notice this freezing sound loop thing in 3D games and playing mp3's or whatever... got that latency patch and never heard it again for like 3 years.
    then just started locking.... did what i said earlier and here it sits....

i'm tired of messing with it, and stuck playing 1998's games and whatnot and decided its time for an upgrade....going for a new MB / Athlon XP 2700+ / ram / Vid card. time to break the (2)Ghz barrier
    :) probably looking @ $400

.... i'll try those drivers 1st though but i doubt i'll give it much of a chance....that upgrade looks to good to me at this point.

6. Miso_Ohio

You might as well update, an 850 is kind of outdated anymore if you want to play any of the newer games. Keep in mind if you are building it yourself, to always flash to the latest bios. That tends to solve a lot of problems, reading some of the complaints on the board you have, there appeared to be a lot of problems with it until people updated thier bios on the board. It really isn't that hard, there should be intructions with the download, you may want to give it a try.

7. I love my Asus A7N8X motherboard. It gets great reviews. I build all my PC's from scratch and order mostly from www.newegg.com

Good luck!

8. LiquidTension

check it out:
    upon closer inspection of the MB it appears to have these taller capacitors sticking up..... and one of them is corroded on top and side and 4 others appear to be on the same route. strange .... it's not in a damp environment. now i'm thinking my pwer supply is too weak. (250w)

i tried those other 4in1's and didn't help.... now i see why.... :eek:

i'll definately flash this bios when i get it setup

wierd.... i just ordered the a7n8x-x Asus. :p and a AMD 2700+ and 256 ram and a radeon 9600 xt.... should be a decent upgrade

should i go for a 400w PS as well?

thanks for input....guys ;)

this is gonna be a long week waiting for these to show up.... :(

wow it stayed running long enough to post.... lol

9. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

yes, i personally would go for the 400W PS..
    i am an ASUS fan myself.. :)

10. I'd get 512 meg of PC3200 Kingston or Corsair ram. and also the 400 Watt power supply.

11. LiquidTension

hehe... thats the type i ordered (the kingston) only 256 though ... still gonna run 98SE.... isnt there a ceiling on win98 and ram? 512 seems overkill.... but i will have 2 emtpy slots for future..... yeah... gotta get the 400 ps

12. I'm thinking even 98SE would benefit from 512 meg ram. A lot of the newer games and apps will suck up that memory pretty fast. Why would you stick with 98SE, it's the perfect time for you to buy OEM Windows XP cheap since your getting hardware. I love XP and wouldn't turn back to 98 at this point.

13. LiquidTension

have to research that 512 / 98se
    i'm partial to 98 i guess....
    you guys gonna be trying out that multiplayer fishing thing online... what was it... infisherman.... i cant find tropybass 4 anywhere local... is this infisherman game a new game?

14. InFisherman is a new game. I haven't really played it yet. I have Trophy Bass 4. I'm addicted to Deer Hunter 2005: The Season, right now!! It's a really cool game and fun to play online against each other as well.

I'm up for both games this winter!

15. Miso_Ohio

Popped up capacitors, I know the problem and you are right the motherboard is toast. There was pretty much a huge problem we have been dealing with up to a couple years ago with those capacitors. Basically there was a plant the produced these for cheap somewhere in Taiwan that provided most of the electronic world for a few years. The result was these capacitors where blowing and causing all kinds of problems. I have seen them in all sort of motherboards (including ASUS and my fav ABIT) as well as TV's, DVD players and pretty much anything with chips in it. The plant has corrected itself and it doesn't appear to be happening anymore but if you had older equipment you may still have the faulty capacitors. I know a lot of shops have a bunch of the corrected capacitors on hand and when they get this problem in they replace them, but not worth it on something that old.

As far as recomendations go, I go to a local shop (well now series of shops) in columbus called computer factory. Been going there for years, use to be a pretty snobbish place, the sign on the door was "If You Buy From Us, You Are Your Own Tech Support", but they had good equipment for cheap. It is not like that anymore and they cater to home builders. As far as mainboards go, I wouldn't of recommended them 4 years ago but the MSI's that have come out in the last 3 years have been rock solid. I have built a bunch of machines with them and have a buch of friends that use them now. My next purchase will be a MSI mainboard, the offer a very good product for the price, plus they have a nice utility that keeps all of your motherboard driver up to date as well as updating your BIOS for you automatically (and yes it actually works), a nice feature to have.

As far as OS's go, upgrade to either 2000 or XP (stay the heck aways from ME), you will be glad you did. XP is nice and I use it at work, but at home I still use 2000 and like it, with 98 you will start coming across programs that will not run on it or run very poorly on it. As for memory, buy the best quality you can buy (kingston or Corsair), unless you like messing with your system all the time, it will be the best investment you can make to a stable system.

16. From all of the research that I have done on memory usage in various operating systems I would suggest that you not bother with the additional memory. Win98 does not do a great job of memory allocation when comparing to the newer OS's. The benchmarking that I reviewed showed very little performance improvement once going beyond 256Meg. From a performance standpoint I believe you would be much better served with a newer OS as well but if what you are looking for is staying with the same "feel" then I would not worry about it at this time. However, you will soon find an application that will require you to need the upgrade.;)

17. I guess I typed too slow and Miso_Ohio stole my line.;)

I agree with what he said about being glad you upgraded OS's. They do have a different look and feel but all of the functionality that was in Win98 is in the newer OS's with a lot more. And by adopting the NT technology they cleared up a huge number of memory related problems.