Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Nothing but Fly Gear
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o658/keith6831Got my personal best smallie tonight after a long day at work.....Called the wife on the way home from work to check on the plans for the evening...and she said ......why don't you just go fishing tonight .......!!!! So I head up to the Stillwater .....was fishing a size 2 brown cone head wooly bugger on a 6wt with a 5ft jim teeny sink tip line....4ft furled leader and about a ft of tippet. The spot I was in had some weeds growing in the shallows then it tapered into a 4-5ft deep section at mid river....with a little bit of a fading ripple dumping into it.......I cast the fly into the shallows at the grass edge....give it 2 quick strips , throw a mend and let it sink for a 4 count...then I tighten up and give it a few short strip bonceing of the bottom like a cray fish and whammmm!!!! set the hook and out of the water leaps a hog of a smallie......the fish took drag twice ran down stream jumped 2 more times then it was time for bull dog tug of war....another short run and its over.....Ive got many a river smallmouth in my yrs...but never one this large.....Fish was 18''+ long measured 5'' from top too bottom just behind the head and was a solid 3.5'' thick or alittle more......I did get a pick on the smart phone ......gave it a kiss....and worked with it for abit to insure it live to fight another day.......Now I having a few cold beers and looking forward to my next adventure .........if someone with a droid smart phone wants to PM me and explain how to post a pic from the phone to here ..I'd be happy to try......Ive never been good at getting that done.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts