Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hook, Line & Sinker
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing special for some of you catfish guys but this is my best channel to date. Went down by the marina at CJ and today caught some shad with the cast net. Chucked out the head of the biggest shad and this gal was hungry for it. Clicker was clickin' like mad. By the time I got to the pole the thumping had stopped. After a few seconds it went again and she was on. Gave one heck of a good fight.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Nice job!, thats a nice channel anywhere! I am guessing around 7 lbs?? did you get her weighed?? If you kept it, what was in the stomach?? if released, thats cool, Maybe Ill catch her next year when she is around 2 lbs heavier....;)

Salmonid

·
Hook, Line & Sinker
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a darn thing in the stomach. It was empty. Even the intestines were void from what I could tell. Scale at the marina bait shop showed 8 lbs. Length was 26 inches. Unfortunately that fish isn't going to swim another day. I was a little hesitant about keeping a cat of that size but honestly those fillets were some of the best looking meat I have gotten out of a channel. It was a really healthy fish.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
nice cat.if that's what the scale read,then that's what it weighed.i'm still waitin' to get a cat that size outta cj.

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
Not a darn thing in the stomach. It was empty. Even the intestines were void from what I could tell. Scale at the marina bait shop showed 8 lbs. Length was 26 inches. Unfortunately that fish isn't going to swim another day. I was a little hesitant about keeping a cat of that size but honestly those fillets were some of the best looking meat I have gotten out of a channel. It was a really healthy fish.

Fish under 10 pounds I keep, you can get very nice fillets off 5-8 pounders, very good for fish frys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts