close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PB brown yesterday Am

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by hyperstriper, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Got up early yesterday morning and headed to the Clearfork. Fished for about an hour with not much but a couple creek chubs on a partridge and orange. I decided to tie on something terrestrial, a big fat bumblebee landed on my shoulder( ding lightbulb!) I'm Not kidding second cast, WHAM. An epic balttle ensued. In the end I landed my pb Ohio brown at14 inches. I know they get bigger but hey on a self- tied pattern on a rainy morning, I was shaking like I just won the lottery. I gently released him(sorry no pic.) and headed for another likely spot. Three or four more casts Wham, another violent take. Unfortunatly this one came un-hooked. I think it was at least as big as the other one. I stayed a while longer and ended up with another bee caught trout about 8 inches and sevreal more chubs on the bee. That bee pattern is on flyfishohio.com. I have used that pattern very successfully for large bluegill early this summer and have caught a couple largmouth on it too. I tied it on a #12 with yellow- black- yellow with a badger hackle and moose hair tail.
    Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

See ya on the water
    BG

2. Utard

Utard

Sounds like a ton a fun on an unlikely pattern. Wonder if they were really hitting it as a bee or if they thought it was something else. Were you higher up on the river?

3. Yes, I was on the upper stretch. I think they knew it was a bumblebee. There was lots of big yellow flowers with bees all over them until it started raining.