close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paylakin with Craws

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Buffdaddyfish, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Hello all!

Going out on Friday night to a pay lake.......always have great success with fishing with live bluegills, heads, etc......never used craws. Does anyone ever use craws for paylakin? I would assume these work well on cats too but not run in to too many people who use them at paylakes. All this talk about the smallies with the fat bellies because of the crayfish population doing well has got me thinking about busting some of these big boys with the same bait. Any help or info greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. i used to use soft-craws a lot when i first started cat-fishing, but never tried the hard ones. just this past weekend we went fishing and caught 3 channels and 5 flatheads, all but one was destined for the freezer. when i examined the contents of their stomachs i found them all to be stuffed FULL of hard-craws. the biggest i cleaned was about 10lb (flattie). we caught a big one but i throw all my big fish back so i dont know if the big guys gorge on them as well. you can tell when cats have been gorging on craws, just flip them over and smell their belly. IT WILL REEK! :S

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Flathunter used to laugh at me when I'd bring those big cradads, but I'm telling ya.... they will work sometimes!

4. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

Crawdads do work, at school and through observations. All predatory fish eat crawdads, small flatheads and channels get big by mainly feeding on crawdads. The largest flathead i have caught on one is 25 pounds out of the GMR. Good luck on friday

5. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

i love to use crawls for cats, soft work better than hard but you can catch them on hard crawls. when i use hard crawls i usually break the back of the shell and the tail. just barely squeeze it until you hear it start to crack. i've caught several fish in the 25-30 lb range on crawls

6. yea softcraws work at times.....i do the wormball and craw combo when the bites are slow...

the hardcraws i peel the shell off the tail and hook that first....when i do the combo....i hook the wormball first then on the tip pull through the soft craw...

play around with it and let us know how you do. im gonna head out to rocky fork this weekend and gonna try out a bunch of new baits.

7. Sweet....yeah last week the biggest flat head at the lake was 35lbs....didn't know if that stood or not but we came close several times and I am really starting to get in to this big cat game after so many years of large/small mouth bass fishing! On my third pole I will prob. rig it with some craws and see what happens. Thank you to everyone for the advice!......if you have anymore comments still please feel free to chime in, the more info the better. Thanks again!