Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a mental list of a lot of different lakes and spots on river that I want to get to. With all this high water, it gave me a chance to cross one of them off. I don't mind saying where I was, but I don't want someone to be able to google the name of this lake in 2 years and find this though. So please, don't type the name in the comments, thanks! It's the only Hamilton County park that is right next to the LMR. It is not known at all for bass fishing, most fishing is for bluegill and cats. At some point in the past, I decided bass fishing here would be a fun challenge. I dragged my feet on the way there because I wasn't expecting much. I rented a boat, loaded up, and set sail on what I thought was a doomed mission. I Texas rigged a black senko and paddled over to the first bit of structure I could find. The 4ft of visibility was a welcome change from the eternally muddy LMR. I flipped my worm right at the structure and on the third cast felt the tap and set the hook. I was very surprised to say the least as I pulled a 14" LM into the boat.

Fish Fish Bass Perch Ray-finned fish

I worked the general area for next 3 hours and had 4 more LM with a 15" mixed in.

Fish Fish Bass Fishing Recreation

I paddled around and flipped at different areas for the next couple hours with only one 13.5" to show for it. I had one hour left and tried my second to last spot. I landed another decent 14 incher and moved onto the last area. I wacky rigged the worm just to switch it up a little. Right before dark I pulled in 2 more. My biggest of the day at 15.5" and a really fat 14.5" that I thought was a 4-5 lb catfish because of the fight. Growing up in the area of this lake, I never would have thought this place would have decent LM fishing. They are really strict about catch and release with the LM. It isn't an awesome bass lake or anything, but I was happy to get 8 Largemouth between 13-15.5" in 6 hours on the water.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
OOhhh Yeah that's the paylake called Lake Mount Bohemia. Why would you think down on that lake for bass fishing? its actually an AWESOME bass lake.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't mind saying where I was, but I don't want someone to be able to google the name of this lake in 2 years and find this though. So please, don't type the name in the comments, thanks! It's the only Hamilton County park that is right next to the LMR.

Pretty sure everyone knows where you are at...... telling people its right by the lmr was a dead giveaway... that is a great place for channel cats though....

Wasn't trying to hide it........? A dead giveaway is what I was striving for.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
I'd definitely be happy with that trip, nice looking fish. I like the rivers, but I also really enjoy LMB fishing out of a boat, that's not a kayak. Although I don't get to do it much.

I've only fished there once about five years ago. I did the same thing you did, but did not have any luck. I have had better luck at the other [email protected] C*unty [email protected];)

·
AKA: JetboatJohnny
836 Posts
I have to say that after working in the fishing and boating dept. at HCPD for 10 years (through high school and college) and being a bass fisherman myself, that place constantly produced nice LMB but it was always unexpected. From what I hear it used to be a really good LMB lake until the weeds were all killed off, that was before my time. Nice job on going and catching some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts