close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

paylakers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by catfishhunter33, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I am going to go under the assumption that this question is sincere, I trust everybody at least once. ;)

Please don't let this topic stray or become a bashing session.

Thank you all very kindly,
    Kim

2. yawn again

under the assumption

thank you kindly

3. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Now I have never Pay Laked before but have talked to guys that do, both around here and down in the major circuits down in the Carolinas. According to a lot of those guys they said it is considered very bad manners to have your fish cross somebody elses line, so the mentality is too hook it and bring it in as quickly as possible. They have even gone so far as to tell me that on more then one occasion a group of anglers have scheduled a little impromptu meeting with someone who cross's lines often, to discuss the matter in a little more detail.

As for the long poles, that baffles me, most of the guys I have talked to don't use very long poles since there is no real reason for distance casting (75-150 yard) like there is in the wild. Maybe for some its just the way it has always been done, when you go to the tackle shop and look at the catfish combo's they are normally very long poles. Personally I like the rods around 5-9 feet, I do have a 10 foot Big Cat rod and that is the longest I own. I have tested out some long 12-13 foot rods before, and I will admit they are nice just a little hard to cast when you are under a tree which is where I always seem to end up.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I asked that question to a friend who frequents paylakes that are packed with people..He told me they use it because they dont want to get any fight out of the fish, just want to bring it straight in..So that it does not become tangled in other peoples line, or others dont have to reel in to let you fight the fish.

5. thanks to those that replied

yawn -----to the well you know

6. I have two nine footers with 45 lb test. Some of my freinds have larger rigs. But in our case, the only time we fish paylakes are during tournements, When i am paying money to when money i want to be sure that im not goning to missout because my tackle was not stronge enough. In a paylake tourny you have a small assigned area to fish. You have to be able to control that fish and not let it get tangled in any other lines, which sometimes means horseing it in. I do agree that i could catch the same fish in the wild with my smaller polls. Some times it is overkill, like a said i do not own a 12 foot rod, and i only sometimes use one of my nine footers in the river. But i have seen big rods snapped and i have seen fiftypound test broken.

Most of the guys i know that fish both paylake and river, fish them with different mindsets. When i catch a fish out of the river it is going to be a trill and i take pride in using smaller tackle. The paylake is about money and competition (at least for me) and i dont want to look back and wish i had stronger line.

Those big bobbers are holding a lot of wheight and iv seen big bait pull a bober around.

I comes down to being sure you can get in fast and strait. But you point is well taken and lots of people dont even know why they have a 12' rod, there is alot of overkill.

7. Miso_Ohio

Not so much as a touring circuit, but just major pay lakes. Down in the Carolinas the art of Pay Laking for carp has been going on for a long time. A lot of guys down there actually do it for a living, that is thier jobs. They have thier own tackle shops, major manufacturers actually make specialized equipment just for them to use.

Don't get me wrong there is money to be made around here in OH, some guys can clear some serious money around here, but most complain that when they pull in to certain pay lakes a lot of guys see them and then leave. So they are forced to head over to Indiana where a lot of people don't know them. In the Carolinas it is different, a top angler shows up at a pay lake you frequent, the guys will stay to see how well the match up to these big guys.

I plan on hitting a Pay lake this year, most likely in Indiana, but I will go with someone who fished these thing a lot. That way if I start to do something wrong or against the rules they will let me know. I fully expect to get schooled but it would be fun to see what it is all about. It is like gambling and fishing at the same time, the more money you put up the more you can win.

8. for replying

miso and rusty

you too lundy
    interesting subject for me

9. Just a while back i fish a tourney at t-2 paylake in piketon ohio, It was a 75$ entery for team, poundage tourny. It had two 3 hour rounds with 1st 2nd and 3rd place. One team of 2 guys one the first three hours and got seconed in the next hlaf. Plus they caught 2 tag fish. They each left there with like 500$ or more. and they have larger ones.

10. Dale there is nothing bad on here, he just had som questions and we are answering them. I dont understand what you see as negative. This is not a fight, this is a discussion. If you read all of the post you will understand that

11. catking

catking Banned

I believe Dale realized this was a civil discussion and didn't want it to go down hill. We all have battle scars from this topic in the past :D . Interesting questions and answers guys ;) ........THE CATKING !!! :)

12. I can understand that, but it just felt like he was jumping to conclusions rather than warning. I just think that an alctual civilized conversation about a touch subject should be encouraged not discouraged. I can understand keeping a close eye on things, but everything was fine.

13. dip

dip dip

when the lake bound channels were spawning.... have fished a couple in springfield and a few other places as well..... i just use the 7' poles i use for reglar fishin but from my limited experience i will offer my theories on why 12-14' or longer poles are commonly used at pay puddles.

1) that length of pole is what paylakes always seem to sell

2) they use long slip floats with those straws and let live bait swim freely resulting in tons of slack so the way they set the hook is to grab the rod and RUN backwards 20-40' or more.... long pole would come in handy for that.

as for hauling the fish in quicly everyone knows that one attains more leverage with a shorter stick.... if i hit a pay puddle i use the same setups i use in the wild.... circle hooks, tight line, and some serious rod holders buckeye tom gave me.

14. Those are both very true points dip

15. Miso_Ohio

Here is a link to a thread talking about the pay laking I am talking about, it is most likely not the pay laking you find here in Ohio. Here in Ohio I think it is mostly catfish, a majority of the time it is a pay to fish type atmosphere with an occaional tournament thrown in.

The kind they talk about in this thread are mostly aimed towards carp, this is big business in the South, plus they have a pay lake or two like these in Indiana and I believe PA does too. As you will be able to see by some of the dollar amounts being thrown around you can win big money.

I have heard that on certain nights at certain lakes, you can win almost 10,000 if you where to hit all of the pots and also big fish every hour which is about as common as hitting the Mega Millions. The possibility of getting a good chunk of that money is very real though. Like I said in an earlier post, a lot of these guys are true professionals at thier craft, they make it sound like childs play and joke about it but for some it is what they live off of.

Pay Lake Thread

Another good page about carp pay lakes, by the way the Shears are legends at this game.

Newt visits the Shears

16. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Unless times have changed in the past few years, 12' poles are the max you find at payakes. The length of poles does help you cast farther, and more importantly, a longer pole takes up line quicker during a hookset. Think of your line going out 40 yards, it has a big sag in it from where it leaves your pole, goes into the water, sinks, comes back up to the floater, then goes straight back down to your bait, usually anywhere from 6 to 15 feet. That sag in the line, then the angle created by the floater, puts a lot of slack in the line. Yes, you can argue to reel the slack out of your line, but that is not practical in the real world. You simply can't do it.

Consider yourself pointing an 8' pole at the water as your floater has just disappeared. you set the hook to that your pole is pointed almost completely away from the water. Now consider that same hookset with a 12' pole. If my math is correct, you have taken up an additional 8 feet of line by swinging the larger pole. That can really make a difference.

As for the line, I never used more than 20lb test. You lose too much castability if you go heavier.

By the way speaking of money, I believe the over 30lb carp split the jackpot at lake Julie Ann in Cincy is approaching $19,000. Not a typo. that would net the winner nearly 10 grand. Not a bad days work

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Its not just paylakers. I ahve two St Croix Classic cat 8'ft rods w/ 40-50 lb test. I need the heavy line when fishign in certain current, and I may only cast 40 yards out. But the paylake guys can cast ALOT more than 50 yards.