close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pay to fish the ocean?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by pendog66, Aug 1, 2007.

1. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

i was just wondering if anyone else was aware of this. In North Carolina you now have to buy a 10 day or a official license to fish the ocean. I never thought i would see the day you needed a license to fish the ocean. I guess the state just wanted that much more money//:(

2. stumpsitter

stumpsitter Regular Guy

Yep, I was at OBX in June. $10 for ten days.

3. I think that has been in effect in Florida for quite a few years now.

4. Why is this surprising?

5. Yes this has been the case in a few states for a while now. Quite frankly I was surprised it ever took that long.

6. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Do any of the states indicate what that money goes towards? I certainly understand it if the money goes towards fishing piers, keeping fishing beaches clean, research, fishery management for the intercoastal, etc.

Besides, $10 for 10 days seems like a pretty good deal....especially if you're catching fish.

However, if the money somehow goes into a general fund, then its hard to buy off on it...but that's a political disucussion for another forum.

CW

7. pendog66

because its the ocean who owns it?

8. Why is it any different than the rivers? That water flows through and not contained.

9. pendog66

But the ocean surrounds us, it doesnt flow through. And i really am interested on where the money goes. Now the only way to fish without a license is off a pier or charter boat

10. If the $10 is too much, then do just that. :rolleyes: We can spend 2 or three times that in bait every week. In your way of thinking, we should all just let the ocean fill with litter and garbage, since "no one owns it".

11. pendog66

now did i say i wanted to pick a fight? how did i say to let the ocean fill with litter and garbage?? i dont see a reason to pay to fish the surf. Theres no reason to be a "richard"

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

When Florida instituted their salt water license was the last time I ever fished the ocean down there. I thought "yep another govt. grab (revenue enhancement) for my wallet.
    They don't stock the ocean, they didn't manage the fish population (at that time).
    It was just an easy way to make more money without having tax raiser label applied to them. Plus most of those buying are probably out of state tourists who can't vote on it.
    Kind of like the huge hotel tax many cities have in place. Let the outsiders pay.

13. that money goes to redfish and striper stocking programs, the enforcement of the commercial fishing laws, public access, and general managment of the fisheries there. and we do "own" a large portion of the water out there because in the pacific we did kick japan out of our commercial fishing water

14. CaptNate

CaptNate Pro Angler and Guide

If you want to fish anywhere, you should buy a license.
    Regardless of whether it's salt, fresh, rivers, oceans, etc.

I guess you weren't aware that states borders don't stop at the surf line. Federal ocean waters don't start for three miles off the beach.

Each state does work to protect ocean waters and their fishery. Many of those fish, and the prey the live on, grow up inshore within a state's natural borders, leaving those homes when they grow older, living out their life in the ocean. States also patrol those waters, enforcing existing laws and regulations.

Quite frankly I hope they stop allowing us charter captains to buy a license that covers anyone that fishes with us. The State of Florida loses millions each year because of that. Millions that could be spent on enforcement, improvements, research, hatcheries, etc.

15. This only applies if you're fishing w/in U.S. territory, not international waters.

16. Hopefully this sheds some light.

http://www.ncfisheries.net/recreational/NCCRFL.htm

Marine Resources Funds
    Proceeds from the sale of this license will go into two marine resources funds managed by the state’s Marine Fisheries and Wildlife Resources commissions. Revenues must be used to manage, protect, restore, develop, cultivate, conserve and/or enhance North Carolina’s marine resources.

17. fisharder

fisharder fisharder

I went to OBX this summer fished everyday and did not see any kind of enforcement effort. Far be it for me to suggest that you ignore the license requirements for saltwater in North Carolina or any other state.My fear is that the money will be used to support policys in the state that will result in less access for fisherman. Closing of beachs and 4wd access due to nesting birds like the infamous pipeing plover. Last year the state spent over 250,000 dollars to protect two pair of nesting birds. The state also closed beaches and set up drive lanes that were under water at high tide. If fisherman pay the bills than its my hope that the money can stay out of the hands of those who would use the funds to cut off our access.I am going back to OBX next week and I will pay my ten bucks to fish because I am a honest person I just hope I am not shooting myself in the foot if you catch my drift.

18. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Riverking and capt nate are right on the money. Fresh or saltwater there has to be some sort of management to protect the fisheries and all the animals that depend on habitat. I fished with an inshore charter and had to purchase a lisence to do so. I had purchased a lisence allready anyway so no matter. Last winter when I went down to Sarasota I had to purchase a lisence to fish the bay from the kayak. Ocean or not these waters need as much if not more management that most of the freshwater resources. Commercial fishing or overfishing can be a serious problem. Remember the redfish was all but indangered at one time do to over fishing for consumption in our fine restaraunts and now thanks to proper management, as I am sure capt nate can attest, this is one of the most prolific and highly prized game fish in saltwater. The money had to come from somewhere. I am sure private money's were used but state and federal agencies had to be mobilized to enforce laws and protect the fishery. S

19. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I've read a few articles written to explain reasons for this. It was more than just the direct liscence revenue. It was also about counting the millions of recreational fisherman versus the few thousand commercial fisherman when looking at leangth and creel limits. If you don't buy a liscence they aren't sure how many fisherman share the resources. I'm sure it's still about money, but it works out in favor for recreational fisherman anyway. We contribute huge amounts of revenue to the economy so politicians will actually be happy to cater to us, but there needs to be a way to count us for any lobbyist to have as much clout as the commercial fisherman have when laws are being enacted.