close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pay Lake Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by neocats1, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    82.0%
  3. Undecided

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

Regardless of the legality of the topic, please vote on the folowwing question

Is it ethical to take fish out of public waters to stock in a pay lake?

2. neocats1

I voted no. Mainly you see this with just catfish, but if it were to include Largemouth, Smallmouth, Walleye, and Trout how would you feel?

3. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

jack should be happy to know i voted no;)
    my vote is based on a few factors,and i would feel the same if it were other species.
    most other species(including channel cats) though,can be farmed,which is one reason they aren't taken from public waters.

5. nope, not "ethical" at all. however, as long as its legal i do not look down on those who fish them. i havent been in a few years but i occasionally hit one up, maybe twice a year. how would the "hunters" feel if private companies were trapping trophy deer and putting them in 200 acre pins and have folks pay to hunt them down.........???

6. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i think most of us will vote no but if one did vote yes prepare for the verbal lashing

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i didnt vote because im not too sure whose "ethics" were talking about. to be ethical you are humane, fair, moral, upright. i see you said "reguardless of the legality of the topic". if your doing something unethical, its probably illegal too.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

EZ,you make a good point,which is why i meant by "based on a few factors".
    i believe at least a couple of those points apply in most cases.the paylake issue is to many catfishermen(and others)what the commercial fishing on erie is to many erie fishemen.netting erie is legal,but along with some illegal activities,there are are some ethical questions.
    like any poll,this one asks a question without detailing the reasoning behind it.i cast my vote knowing those reasons.
    one problem now is the difference in regs from state to state.ohio limits the size of fish and netting,whereas the other states don't.so though it's illegal to keep those fish here,it's "legal" to buy those fish caught from the same water by out of state licensed netters for stocking of private lakes.

9. not necessarily. ethics is defined as the standards of right or wrong using standards set forth by society.

It is unethical to cheat on my wife, but its not illegal!

by the way........I vote no. haha

10. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i did say PROBABLY illegal:)

11. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i voted no also because 1 i think it is illegal and 2 why would i take a fish from one body of water to put in another body of water to where i have to pay to fish it. and 3 dont the pay lakes take the money and use it to help restock the pay lake?

12. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

well your not allowed to commercial fish the GMR and are only allowed the ohio around here. second even if they are having people bring one or two fish from a local river to the lake that is considered moving fish from one body or water to another which is illegal. Also some lakes are taking fish such as bluegill from people and giving them free tickets and turning around selling the fish as bait which is illegal. You need a agriculture license, and to sell them you either have to buy them from a hatchery or raise the fish from an egg. You can cut corners but whats the point everyone gets caught eventually

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

while i believe some of those things happen,and definitely disapprove,please do not drop names and make insinuations,regardless of your thoughts or knowlege.this is not the place.

14. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

It is unlawful to buy or sell any fish taken by angling from any water area in the state where an Ohio Fishing License is required.

It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another.

It is unlawful for the public to tag and release fish into any public water area.

It is unlawful to clean fish or possess fillets while on or at a body of water. For more information, see OAC 1501:31-13-08 J

Cite: http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_general.aspx

Buick

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

some laws are vague and misleading.i'm not arguing the point,but merely saying the way they are written,they don't go into detail.the transporting section is an example.
    it is perfectly legal to take fish from one body of water and use them for bait in another,as long as all other laws are followed.it is also legal to catch and stock them into private waters.
    and though i have no doubt that some paylakes are involved in some type of illegal activity,all are not,and none should be openly accused here unless they've been convicted or at least formally charged.
    keep in mind,the paylakes being discussed are primarily those that stock large flats,blues and channels.not all paylakes are created equal.

now here's something i don't understand..................................a few people who so adamently oppose those places,actually sometimes fish them,and post about it.
    because i don't jump on their wagon,they also assume i condone those operations,not realizing i haven't even seen a paylake for over 25 - 30 years,and the use of wild stock is exactly why i haven't.and when i did fish the occasional paylake,it was for channels,trout and other farmed fish to eat,not big wild fish for money.

16. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

While I don’t agree with the whole “Pay lake Thing” I can not believe that these lakes are acquiring fish to put in the lake illegally. Some of these lakes have been around for years and unless ODR is turning a blind eye to this business (which I doubt) they must have special permits (that the ordinary fisherman may not be aware of) that probably cost big bucks to catch, transport, and charge for profit.

If the Pay Lakes are running their business in a legal way and they are following all the state rules and regs. is this any less ethical than dragging smallmouth off their spawning beds during the “closed” season? It’s legal to catch them, you just can’t keep them but what about the damage being done to the eggs as goby swarm the bed while the male is caught and released. Legal yes. Ethical? I’m not claiming to be more righteous then anyone else, just pointing out an observation. IMO everyone has a different meaning to the word depending on how it affects them.

Main Entry:
    eth•ic
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈe-thik\
    1plural but sing or plural in constr : the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation2 a: a set of moral principles : a theory or system of moral values: the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group <professional ethics> c: a guiding philosophy

Note to Buick

Everyone of thoes regs you posted has sub laws and definitions that are not printed in the fishing regs. pamphlet.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/lawsandregulations.aspx

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ah,the voice of reason:)
    you are prety spot on with that post,corndog.
    as i mentioned,there no doubt are the few who do circumvent the laws to some degree,you can't throw them all in the same basket.i'm sure there are many well run operations,but some folks just refuse to take off the blinders.
    personally a i also said,i don't like the idea of even legally netted fish taken from public waters for certain purposes.but they are within the law,and my choice to not fish there is not based on the legal issues,and i won't badmouth them or their patrons when they are within the law.

18. neocats1

Pen- I may misunderstand this, but there is not a commercial fishery on the Ohio River within Ohio borders. Kentucky does allow commercial fishing on the Ohio. The way I understand it, Ohio's only commercial fishery(where it's legal) is Lake Erie.

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

As I said in another post.

I went to a paylake last week, mainly because I have 3 herniated disk in my back, and cant walk far at the present time.

I do not approve of how paylakes get there big fish, but I went anyway.

While I was there I saw 4-tons of catfish being brought in by netters, it made me feel worse than I already felt by going in the first place..

these fish are being brought in from out of state, but it is getting harder for the netters to get them becuse laws are being past to stop them.

Will I ever go back? Not if I can walk to my river spots.

I cant find any l;akes that stock only farm raised channels?

20. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

i know of a couple people who commercially fish the ohio river i dont know if its legal but they do