close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pay Catfishing ponds on Ohio Wv border.

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dsmith_88, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Hello,

I found a website of two different pay fishing ponds, which you pay and can fish all day. The one was located on the border of Ohio and WV right near the right on the Ohio side across from Parkersburg, WV They were catching monster catfish.. The other pay ponds was also right near the border, but they it was located just across the river From Huntington, wv....I was wondering does anybody have a website and or number to contact these two pay ponds.

Thanks,
    david smith

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Oh boy........I'll just warn you now. Most of the guys who catfish are opposed to paylakes as they get the fish from the wild. They are netted out of the OH River under KY license and also from other states. Doesn't really matter, as wherever they are obtained, they are wild fish. So, as wild fish they are a public resource & ought not be used to profit any commercial enterprise. There is no national regulation overseeing this, so each state has it's own set of laws, and it's just simply not regulated. A similar situation would exist if trophy deer were captured off public lands, then turned loose into a fenced in pen, where for a fee, you could shoot them. Same principle. Now if they were farm raised ( the fish or the deer for that matter) it wouldn't be a real problem IMHO. Maybe not sportsmanlike, but at least they wouldn't be pillaging public resources. One of those paylakes stock tons of fish every spring, about 12,000 pounds....why ?? I'll tell you why, because the fish die off and have to be replenished, otherwise, you could stock once & fish for years. Do some research in the Catfishing Forum & you will see it's a hot topic.

Paylakes have changed from an easy access, introductery fishing experiance to more/less a form of gambling with big pots paid for big fish. Used to be one could just go enjoy fishing for a few eater catfish, but those days are gone. It's a big business drawing folks to try for a trophy fish-of-a-lifetime, trapped in a pond, like shooting fish in a barrel. The fish are penned in, not in a natural environment, no structure, etc. Fishing for them is not the same as learning how to catch them in the wild. Much better to save up some $$ and hire a guide in the Cumberland or James rivers.

3. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

This is definately the wrong site to bring up paylakes. This is a fishing site. That is not fishing!!

4. You may want to stay away from that topic... :mad:

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i won't add another speech or warning to the above,but will agree that you'll receive a lot of negative feedback on the subject here.i'm not into those "big cat" paylakes either,but to each his own,whether it's my preference or not.
    i am however,confused as to why that is the subject of your very first post,in which you start with
    and end with
    if you already found the websites(which have the info you ask for),why do you then ask if anyone here has the same info? :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good point Rick, I was wondering the same thing. I figured I'd just take the bait & bite with an informative opinion on paylakes. I know many people fish them without considering the downside as to where those huge fish actually come from. Also no one questions why they have to keep stocking so many tons of fish.
    I just don't know how they are allowed to gamble either ?? It's not a registered charity, same with all tournaments that have a payoff. I guess actually, it's a form of gambling.

7. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

People, remember we all have our own opinions about these lakes. I won't take sides here but will say this, some people enjoy fishing these places for the ease of catching bigger fish. Some are totally against this type of fishing. Respect others here guys. If you are against it then please don't post it here. Ignore the thread and move on. The original post was just an information post and wasn't intended to start anything.
    We will be watching this close and WILL close it if problems start. Keep it nice.

8. I used to get out and fish the rivers, ponds, and lakes in the wild. However unfortunately I had a skiing accident, which left me paralyzed. I love to fish, but there are very few places which I can get to and fish, and the ones that I can always seem to over fished. I seem to only get to fish a few times a year if that, take for instance last summer I was on bed rest from March until October, and then I could only get out of bed for a little bit at a time.

I am sorry that I have offened everybody, please except my appology.

The only reason I use these ponds is because they are easy access, and I can catch a fish. When I go my brother and mom that goes and helps me fish won't even fish they only help me bait my hook and remove the fish. However I fully understand what you are saying, because I truly feel the same way. If you know of a way and place I can fish being Permanently wheelchair bound "meening I can't transfer to a boat seat" please let me know

PS I again apologize for offending everyone, and feel the same way..

Thank You
    David Smith

9. What I meant by my opening question was that I had the site, and wanted to see if these places were handicapped accessible but my computer crashed, I am sorry for the weird wording of my post.

Again I apologize for offending everybody

thanks for your time
    david smith

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

another good point,jim
    that's the biggest drawback to many of them.i used to fish some local paylakes back in the 60's-70's,for fun.white bass,channel cats and walleyes were stocked,along with bass,trout,carp,gills.even had campsites for weekly/seasonal rental.
    close to home,and easy access for people who were physically limited.it was a nice place to take my dad and a good friend of mine,in their last days when they were no longer mobile eneough to fish their favorite places.
    i gave up on the place when they changed their operation,and went the other direction.

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Dave, you didn't offend anyone here. You have your right to post your opinions here just as much as anyone else. As I said we each have our own opinion of things. Feel free to post. This is a free site we have and we encourage people to post information about all types of fishing. Yes some are against pay lakes and some use them. That is your right to choose. There are lots of reason people fish pay lakes, I know a guy that takes his son who is in a wheel chair to them often. Why, because he can't get to the rivers and streams in a wheel chair. Others take familys to them for the safety factor. What ever the reason they are there and are used often. That isn't going to change not matter what people say about them. So for the ones against these I'll say it again. If you don't like the thread, move on.

Dave let me welcome you to our site also. Feel free to provide information that may help others and take from the vast amounts that is here.

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

dave,you don't have anything to aplogise for,and surely didn't offend me.as i said,to each his own.especially in your case.that's exactly what i spoke of in my previous post.if i offended you,that was not my intent,so my apologies.and i think if you'd given your reason,you may have gotten a little different reaction from others,and myself ;) :)
    people who are physically limited in their mobility,but enjoy fishing,need someplace to go.those lakes you mentioned most likely would fit your needs.i don't know,as i've never fished them.but if you are back online now,you should be able to get the phone number from their sites and give them a call with your questions.
    just be warned,if you go there,and fish for the "bigguns",you'd better anchor your wheelchair,or you could end up in the drink when you hook one :eek: :D
    i'm somewhat limited in what i can do also,but at least i'm fortunate eneough(and thankful) to still be on my feet,and can fish a lot of places you're not able to.if there weren't so much distance between us,i'd be more than happy to take you there,or anywhere you could go.

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Dave cant tell you to much on the pay lakes but i do know that alot of charter guides on lake erie are more than accomedating to those in wheelchairs. If you ever thought about going that way. My buddy is taking his brother up in july and he is in wheel chair. The eric at reefstalker sportfishing has told him he will do everything he can to accomdate. Just another thought for a once a year outing with the family.

14. No worries Dave,,,
    We're all behind you 110%...
    Some of us don't liek that topic but does not mean you can't share your views...

15. catking

catking Banned

First of all -welcome to the OGF site Dave '88 !!! No offense taken here either . Feel free to post away and you will find this is a very good fishing site, with alot of good people . Pay lakes do have theri place in this world. Some may not agree , but you are a great example that the ponds do indeed offer something. Good luck and fire away !!!! CATKING :)

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Dave,

I'm sure if you stick w/ OGF there will be someone that would love to take you out cattin. There are a few lakes in your area w/ Handicapp areas. Lake Logan for one, has tons of shore line that you can fish from a wheelchair. Post some avaialble times, as I am down there about every weekend, juust came back a few minutes ago actually. Maybe some of us could meet up & do some cattin & carpin.

17. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

lake with farm raised fish with no big trophys ok with me all other bad news thumbs down

18. hi Dave and welcome to ogf..as stated before you found the best fishing site on the web...its true alot of us here dont like payponds (and some do) dont let that keep you from fishing
    and keep an eye out for some upcoming outings there a great way to get to put a face with alot of the names you see here

19. welcome to the site sorry about the warm welcome many of the fishermen here have put alot of time and $ into the hunt for 1 in a life time fish only to c nets full of fish going to pay ponds u may want to call your game warden and let him know of your needs im sure he will go out of his way to tell u any and all places that are handicapped accessible in your area that he knows of please dont let your first topic scare u off the site been a long going hot topic on here

20. I am excited already just thinking about it. Jerry Holston Jr. I was wondering do you have a number or website, so I can get in contact with that guide on Lake Erie, so I can set up a Charter.

thanks

Mr. Deer Cam, I am going to check out Lake Logan, and I will figure out some times this summer when I can go, and maybe we can work out sometime and go cattin and carpin

thanks