close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pattern your choke and loads?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by BigChessie, Oct 5, 2005.

1. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Was wondering how many guys pattern their guns before the season or do the "see how it hits on opening day" patterning? Had Littleking and Peteyeh down the other day to pattern. Pete had a very nice even pattern and did very well, I shot some reload HV #6 and was a little disaapointed in my results. Last night my son patterned his gun with my hv loads #6,Estate #4,Win 2's. Unbelievable grouping with ALL of rounds!! He is sooo happy and just loving rubbing it in my face :eek: , lol He will have no problem out to 50 yards with my HV loads and shame on anything with in 40 with the other loads !$ . I changed some stuff around and came up with a better pattern but now as good as his. I'm going to try to slow my Hv load down below 1550 fps, maybe down to 1350 and see how it does. If you do pattern How about posting up:Gun,shells (size and fps) chokes and results at 40 yards. Might help others with their shooting by giving them a place to start. Highly suggest you pattern your guns, is a VERY nice feeling knowing that when you pull the trigger, if you do your job, the bird is going down :D . Not a good feeling having 4 birds light into the deeks at 20 yards and 3 shots later, they are showing you tail feathers and laughing all the way :( .

2. I think ya have to pattern before you go out. I like to shoot a few times at a paper target and then bust a couple of clays. Shooting target loads at the range all day really helps your shooting. But I like to see how the field load shoot. After all the field loads have more punch to them. I shoot remington hevishot in #6&2's from the factory mod. coke. works great. Ya I was going to come down with pete but ended up stuck up north.
    good shootin to ya
    Brad

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

BB7059 I would love to see how your factory load HV's compare to my handloads. Wonder if they pattern any diffrent? With your 6's, how many oz and whats the fps?

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I patterned mine this srping and was surprised as well. Will post results when I get home.

5. I think they are 1450fps and 1 3/8oz loads? I will have to check when I get home.