close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Passports for Canada

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fffffish, Apr 8, 2005.

1. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

It starting to look like Starting in 2007 you will need to have a passport to enter and return from Canada. Because all states drivers licenses look different the border guards can not tell the difference between real and fake so they are going to require passports since they all look the same.
    More info to come

2. I saw an article on the news last night about that. I did not catch when they would start requiring it though. I made a mental note myself because I go up in late July and will need to know what is going on before then. They made it sound like the holdup would be coming back rather than going over. So people better be made aware of the requirements or there will a lot of folks stuck in Canada.;)

3. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

If this is their reason for doing this it is pretty dumb. This suggests that our own government can't recognize our licenses. I remember a carry-out in college who had a book that displayed all 50 state licenses for comparison. You would think they could do something similar or run them through some sort of scanner like a credit card.
    I would understand if it was more of a national security issue. Sounds like a lot of fisherman and gamblers are going to have more of a hassle in preparation for Canadian trips.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The reason they are doing it is a driver's license doesn't mean you are a US citizen nor does it mean that you are allowed to be in the US.

Plus the US Govt. does not control the standards for obtaining a driver's license. This way they have direct control.

A passport is easy to obtain. Go to Kinko's or AAA and get your picture. Fill out the form with the proper paperwork. For renewals you can get them by mail.
    Go through this website (State Dept.). Don't go through the post office, they will tack on an additional fee. I just got my renewal last week for my trip next month. They even returned the old one with my visa's in it.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

6. Lewzer,

What do they charge for visas anyway? I have no idea. My wife got one a few years ago for a trip she made but other than that I have never dealt with them.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Depends on the country.

The Brazilian visa was around $80 (4 years ago). Looks like it's $100 now.
    China about $80, Thailand $40. Vietnam $50.
    Americans don't need visas for most countries. They want your hard currency and they know you're not going to try to stay illegally.

Here's a list of requirements and prices.
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

8. I am really only curiuos about the cost of one for Canada. Do you need the same thing for all of your kids as well? And how long does one last? I am hoping this does not turn into a money maker for someone...at my expense. I go up to Canada every year with my wife and 3 kids.

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

American citizens don't need a visa for Canada and most of the rest of the world for that matter.

passport fees for new first time passports-
    Age 16 and older: The passport fee is $55. The security surcharge is $12. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97.
    Under Age 16: The passport fee is $40. The security surcharge is $12. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82.

renewal fees
    You may use this form if your previous passport:

1. Was issued when you were 16 or older.
    2. Was issued in the last 15 years.
    3. Is not damaged.
    4. Is submitted with your application.

The Passport fee is $55. The Security Surcharge is $12. The total fee is $67.

Expedited Service - Add $60 for each application

visas are extra if the country you are going to requires them(Canada and Mexico do not)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  10. Holy crap!!!!

Well there goes $440 for me! What a racket. Like I said it is turning into a moneymaker for someone.:mad:

So is everyone of the understanding that this will not be mandatory until 2008 as fffffish mentioned? If so I need to start filling the piggy bank for that one.:eek:

11. Another question. Is the passport that I would buy now renewable or will it last me for an extended period of time?

12. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

They are good for 15 years the web site stated.

13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The website said they will be required for re-entry from Canada in 2006.

They last for 10 years.
    Juveniles under 16(I think) need to be renewed after 5 years. Their appearance changes faster.

14. I clicked the wrong link the first time and was not getting to the info but now I see it. It looks like we weil be okay for this summer and next summer but will need one after that.

YUCK! I don't mind getting one and I understand the purpose but the price seems a bit ridiculous to me.

15. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

If you know Canada is going to do this, it would probably save you money to buy now! In 2 years the price will be higher...it is for everything else!! -Hooch-

16. I suppose that is true but I don't feel like biting off a $400 chunk right now.:rolleyes: I suppose I will consider getting it before next summer but I don't think I will this summer unless something changes to prompt me to do so.

17. fffffish

BKR43050
    Sorry I had a type O I meant to type 2007
    But the exact date they will become mandatory is December 31, 2006

18. bugtussel

bugtussel Banned

19. It looks like the December 2006 date only applies to air and sea travel. The December 2007 date lists the land border travel.

20. fffffish

Your right Looks like this is the date
    December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

The wife and I go to Canada 4 or 5 times a year. 4 weekends at Niagara Falls to gamble an 2 weeks in Peterborough, Ontario Fishing the Kawartha lakes, Pigeon, Buckhorn, Chemung for Muskie. I think we will get our passports this year since they are good for 10 years. Might as well get the hassles over with now instead of waiting to the last minute. They will probably jack the price up before then any ways. I think the passport has more to do with money then terrorism just think how many people go to Canada and Mexico every year for vacation.