close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

passport mess

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by leckig, Aug 31, 2007.

1. to laugh or to cry?

A friend of mine just got a package with a passport for her 8 months baby. They travel to EU on Wednsday. Upon opening the package we found out that... she received two passports for some other people. She is on the phone now with that issuing office.

Two years ago the government sent her new green card 3 times to wrong address. She had to pay each time to get it reissued, about $200. It this bad luck or it is a norm?

2. I hope this is not the norm. I will be needing one soon

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i've never had to deal with passport issues but i'd say it is a little of both;)
    bad luck for sure,but i can understand it when considering the institution she's dealing with.....................if you know what i mean;)
    i have had similar experiences with them,as i'm sure many others have:rolleyes:
    but it's a shame they feel the need to make innocent people pay for the problems created by their own ineptness.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The US State Dept is a mess at the moment. I had to get mine renewed this past March. Then I needed a visa in the new passport. They misspelled my name. When I sent it back to be corrected with the proper correction form, they sent it to the other country's embassy who gave me a visa with the incorrect name.
    Had to get it sent back to the state dept for a corrected passport and then after it was returned, send it to the embassy for the visa. All this was expedited and it cost some big bucks even though it was the state dept's screw-up.
    The State Dept tried to rehire retired State Dept workers to deal with the huge backlog. They even brought back US embassy people from around the world to help. Sounds like they weren't successful.

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

My wife and grandaugthers sent in for thier Passports for a trip were taking this past July out of country.

Everything went perfect, on time, no issues at all.

They do get some of them right.

6. You better believe that I would be raising hell on that one. There is no way I would pay them $200 for their screwup.

We have to get them in the next year or so. I hope they get things smoothed out before that time comes.:rolleyes:

7. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I need a passport quick, I filled out the form online printed the documention and also got my pic taken yesterday at walgreens, I am paying for expedited service with overnight, should have it in 3 weeks, as I need it for october 6th, I hope they don't screw mine up!!!

8. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have been through this very recent with my trip to the Dominican Republic for my honeymoon. Long story short. 16 weeks after we applied, I got my passport.

flash--------------------------------------out

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

My sister did the same thing for a trip she took to Costa Rica with my dad. She waited and waited, and it never showed up, so she finally got on the phone and started making some calls. The trip was three days away, when friend of hers gave her a phone number for some congress person. She pleaded her case to that person, and lo and behold, FedEx pulled up at one o'clock in the morning that night, and delivered her passport.

10. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Well even if I don't get it by the time I need it, they changed the laws for going to Mexico, as long as you have proof and documentation that you applied and your just waiting for a passport the US will still let you back in. Still need the exact paperwork which can be pulled off the web after submitting a request, with SS card, birth cirt and driver license. So I'm good either way, I'm going to pay extra for the expedited service in hopes I will get it. It says 3 weeks door to door so I will have around 4 1/2

11. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

If the right people are contacted, you can get a passport in 3 days, door to door. Our company does it all the time with people who need passports for emergency business travel.

flash-----------------------------------out

12. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I don't know any of the "right" people, I just know Hetfieldinn and Shortdrift:D

When we went to get the passports we needed the post office worker told us that it would be somewhere around 12-18 weeks for a non expedited passport to be issued. He stated that expedited would be around 3 weeks. We paid for the expedited, just to be safe, and we received them in 10 days.. This was in May of this year

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Thanks Kim good to know! this is what I am shooting for, good to know the extra service paid off for you, hopefully it does for me as well.

Cabo San Lucas and Black Marlin Fishing here I come!!!! Might drink a few beer to.

14. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I had no problems getting one issued a few years ago. Everything went very smoothly. Of course that was before the State Dept was besieged with request like they are now.

15. Here is one more thing to think about.
    The expiration date of your passport.

It used to be, for some countries, that the passport had to be good for at least 6 more months before your leave.

It is always a good idea not to wait till the last minute.