Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Know You Old Timers Got Some Info On The Channel And Bullhead Catfish Locations So Share It With The Younger Class Of Anglers.
Its Not Like Your Giving Away Your Secret Trout Or Bass Hole It Just Catfish And Im Just Trying To Fill Up Some Photo Albums For My Kids To See 10 Years From Now. Help Me Experience The Good Times You Guys Did. Thank You. Im A Good Crappie Angler And My Father Is A Charter Captain Off Lake Erie. 4 Queens Charter Fishing. He Just Walleyes And Perch Jerks. Im More Off Into The Shore Fishing. Its More Of A Challange To Me.

Please Old Timers Help Me Have A Sensational Catfishing Experience Ill Never Forget. I Would Appreciate Directions If Possible. I Have Aim Splitshotz

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hey Crappie, I cant help you since Im way downstate but your comment about it not being like a trout or Bass hotspot is kind of funny as I gaurantee you that Cat guys are waaaaaaay more tight lipped about there good spots then any other type of fisherman. Im sure some folks will point you to some good places but dont be suprised if they dont. It may take some time for folks to see that you are contributing to the board before they offer to help, otherwise they might think your "Trolling", with only 8 posts, folks havent learned what type of fisherman you are ( CNR, keeps em all, has loose lips, etc)

Good luck...
Salmonid - who also guards even his gar and carping holes ;)

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
i would have too agree with him. u sem to be vrey aggressive about finding a "hony hole". usually people arnt so willing to give out there personal info on where they like to fish. Mostly u'll get suggestions on where to go then ull just have to try and look for a nice hole at the ;ake.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dude I Appreciate Your Response But Im All Solo And Do Alot Of My Fishing Around Ladue Reservoir. Im Not A Loose Lipper. But Thanks Alot.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
I am not a catfisherman but I have hulled in a few big ones from Mosquito while trolling for walleye. My biggest from there was 44 inches.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Take some time and figure out the lake. You'll find the fun is in the learning.

Good luck in your hunt for the illusive bullhead.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I Understand What Your Saying But It Would Be Alot Easier If I Knew What Tributaries Or Lakes Are The Best Ones To Learn. You Know. I Dont Want To Spend The Next 15 Years Trying To Figure Out Where A Lake And The Fish Arent Even There. Any Lakes In General Would Be A Start. Im A Solo Fisherman Not To Many Kids My Age Do What I Do Im A Hvac Install Tech And A Hardcore Fisherman. Just Looking For Some Shore Advice. Thanks For The Reply.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
OK. Ladue is a good start. Mosquito too. Lots of good fishing from the Rt 88 Causeway, both crappie and catfish.

I wouldn't expect exact spots from anyone.:) You have a few starting points, enjoy the experience of learning how to catch them.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my father is a charter captain and only goes after the walleye steelhead and perch im 1st mate. i am getting kinda bored catching fish from a boat trolling i have always had a love for shore fishing you meet alot of people and make alot of freinds. i will try ladue again this weekend. i have all my shad froze and ready as well as a good prepared bait. i never have a prob with the crappie although they are 6 inch average around 44 fished april 2 and caught 21 crappies all 5-6 inches no keepers. 4 pound test slip set ups and ultra light gear.

water level was high but i had some water boots and got right in the middle and they were going crazy. just no slabs at all. i fish under the bridge

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Why the thumbs down? I'm trying to point you in the right direction.

Mosquito has bigger crappies from shore and you can get some real nice cats there too.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Seem like a good lad and as always I can tell ya that Mosquito has great cat fishin. Flatheads get huge out there and love the shinners under a bobber at night. Hot-n-tots during the day. If the bullheads you are after,you might try Berlin. Just stick with a bobber in the campgrounds after they open. Good luck and enjoy! :T :D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hey Crappie. Come out to our tournament Saturday night and you can see some catfish. Either join in and fish or just come to the weigh-in. Either choice is a good learning experience. By the way, it's at Spencer Lake.

·
Registered
248 Posts
o Crappie o

Our Catfish eat them Bass baby ;) Them cats rain king in our Ohio Waters, he hee. @ times I do use Bass and the other stuff fer live bait :) .

If ya need some Bullhead spots which are another great bait, pm me plz. Hmmm or a Flathead spot IF u have the gear and don't mind a 2.25 hr drive to the Ohio River by the Newcumbeland Dam by Eastliverpool!!!!!

:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Crappie,

I tend to agree with most on here, but in my opinion, finding your own spot is also quite rewarding! Especially if you have a "secret" bait that they love. Catfish exist in most inland lakes. We fished Atwood last year and caught a LOT of nice channel cats. Most averaged 2-3 pounds with the biggest being 8. But them 2 and 3 pounders are a lot of fun on light tackle, and I'm told that they are good eating although we've never kept any...

As for spots...The funny thing about Atwood is we've caught nice cats literally all over the lake (i.e. Cemetary bay, west marina entrance, boaters swim area, public beach area, campground area etc...). No one spot was better than another, so you're best bet is to just head out and have some patience, and you'll find the cats!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am pretty new to this site but I think your a little demanding.Cat fish are everywhere amost every popular lake or res has good cats both size and numbers .JUST GO FISH

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have spent a few late evenings at Punderson in the summer fishing for channel cats right off the boat docks. You will catch a lot of small or decent sized bullheads but also some nice channel cats. Caught many channel cats in the upper 20 in lower 30 in range. Great time on a nice eve. Used chicken liver and had a bit of luck but also seemed to do the best on old fashioned night crawler. Use one of those oversized C-shaped hooks. Last year even caught a 27inch albino channel cat. Usually do the bes in end of June - end of July. I did not respond earlier b/c most catfisherman are going after the 50in flatheads but if you have an eve in the summer and want to have a little fun I do recommend this. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Crappie
what are some of the lakes by u. So we can get a general idea of where u are. I know skeeter is a far drive from cleveland.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know of a few lakes that will produce some cats. All are a good distance from you however. Spencer is the tops in the area in my opinion. Great numbers and some HAWGS. North reservoir, good numbers, some of good size. Finally, Pleasant hill in the shallow end. Pretty Good numbers and some have size. Never been :S at any of these locations. Hope that this all helps to produce some :B.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts