close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

partridge and yellow wet fly

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Fishaholic69, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

seen this pattern and just got some natural partridge feathers. this is a size 12 wet/nymph hook.. I followed the recipe but instead of mole used olive/brown nymph dubbing and instead of silk used light yellow 6/0 thread. heres the recipe and the one I made. it really don't seem like much? fish like this? I made one so far and am gonna make more in olive thread and black thread bodies maybe even peacock body? love that peacock!!! lol. critique it and let me know whats wrong and I will make it better and make more
    http://www.flyfishohio.com/Partidge_&_Yellow.htm

Attached Files:

2. gsteel

gsteel Banned

Looks pretty good to me. The key with wet flies is not to overdo it. Keep the thorax very small. Heep the hackle sparse also. Strip one side of the hackle before attaching and wind it 2 times max. Less is more. I assume you will be using it for steel. I fish mine under an indicator most of the time. make sure at the end of the drift to let it swing. When the swing starts the fly rises in the water column often triggering a strike. I am not picking on you about your head sizes but try to cut them down. You are probably using 6/0 thread, pick up some 8/0 which is smaller cutting down the bulky head. Your fly does look good and will fish well though. Keep up the hard work. Its just like anything else, the more you do the better you get at it. Especially if you want to get better. From what I see in you you keep an open mind, do your research, and go for it.

3. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Great big fish catching power!! Nice fly ! I am surprised that mnot many people use them including until last year after much explaining by noted guide. Now I am a true believer these thing catch fish if you use it right. Be sure to tie some Olive soft hackles in 16 to 24 for summer time. Also must have Leadwing Coachman. I rather leave my dry mayflies home before these softhackles anyday. Know what I mean by now!:)

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

I use Beneechii thread (10/0-12/0) for these as its the best you can get IMO.

5. The Partridge and Yellow is one of my go to flies for early spring bluegills. I started tying mine a bit different last year by using a dubbed body instead of floss or thread.

Jeremy

6. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

Looks good to me. Much better than I can do.

7. The head is a bit large. I used to struggle with that myself. I use 8/0 Uni-thread for my nymphs, wets, and drys. It helps to keep the bulk down. One thing you can do on soft hackles to keep the head size down is to start your thread at the eye as normal then tie in the hackle first. Don't wrap it, just tie it in by the stem and leave it there. Wrap you thread body, then dub your thorax. When your done with the thorax wrap your thread past the hackle to the eye, then wind the hackle and tie off. It will be a pain at first to tie the fly this way since the hackle is there flopping around while your tying the rest of the fly. You'll get used to it though and it won't be a problem after awhile. It works for me, give it a try and see if it works for you.

Jeremy

8. Fishaholic69

ok thanks guys. not bad for having a few (8 or so) beers in me when I did it. haha. the head is a lil big now that you point it out. I always seem to overdo or crowd the head. I will ahve to work on that. at least I didn't crowd it. I also made the mistake of building it up a lil then putting 2 half hitches and a whip finish. I didn't strip on side of the hackle either. in the video he didn't so I didn't. now that I see how to make um I got a few ideas of using different colors and materials for the body of the fly.. maybe a black body with crystal flash or flashabou ribbing? peacock body or even something with copper wire ribbing? do all you guys use indicators with them?

9. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Just 3 or 4 half hitches is all you need and no whip finish is neccessary at all on any dry flies either.

10. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

No indicators, just use a dry fly or stimis. Watch your line.

11. Fishaholic69

heres a partridge and orange I just made for a fly swap I joined on another forum. what ya guys think?

Attached Files:

12. Looks great!

Jeremy

13. Fishaholic69

I ight try to strip one side of the hackle next time and see what happens. people have been recommending that.

14. Have to say u make some good looking flies, I GOT TO START LEARNING TO TIE TO.

15. Fishaholic69

kruggy tying isn't that hard. getting all the materials is the hard part. it cost some money to get started. seems ya never have all the right materials at 1st
    thanks for the comments

16. I have all the tools and bought a book called '' Jack Dennis Western trout fly tying manual'' also a movie from cabelas "Getting started fly tying" but dont have any materials.

17. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

I am currently going thru stuff that I know I will never use or have to much. Bad case of impulse buying.:) I also recommend the Orvis fly tying book as it is very helpful and there are a lot of other books also so have fun tying!