close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Parasites in the LMR

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by sevenx, Jun 7, 2007.

1. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Hey all,
    I went down to the LMR to turn over rocks this morning, I found aquatic worms and mess of crawler caddis, However when I was washing off my legs with the hose (i was wearing shorts and sandels) I had about eight little blood suckers on my legs. Very small like 1/8th of an inch but they stuck good. When I scraped them off it actually drew blood. Little SOBs. Just thought you guys would like to know. This is why I allways wear pants when wet wading. I wont be wearing short again. S

2. They're probably just leeches. They would likely get under pants too. Nothing to get too worried about.

3. Hey 7X, they are small leeches, very common here in the midwest, not the big ones like you see in the amazon but the same concept. That tells me you were standing in mud/real soft sediment, the kind that when you walk, bubbles and methane gas come up, am I right?? Probably not best to scrape them off but better to use a car lighter or nail polish, just like ticks, when they cant breathe, they let go. I even get them on the upper Mad River when i wet wade in the soft stuff.

Salmonid

4. sevenx

Would they just be new born baby leech's or just a small varity

5. sevenx

I was out in the current turning over rock but did cross through some muddy bottom. S

6. I think they're just a small variety. It's quite common to find them on the bottom of catfish.

7. I've seen them inside their mouths as well.

8. I know they are in there.. I have seen them before.. but never has that happen before... Interesting

9. Just get a salt shaker and salt 'em. They will fall right off and die. We used to get them on us when we were kids...my grandpa would laugh while we freaked out and got the salt shaker and dusted'em. Be glad you're not up in Michigan or Canada. I've pulled 4-6"'er s off up there... Oh yeah, and salt works on all sizes....kind of like snails and slugs..

spiff

10. Wow, at first glance I read this wrong and thought it said partysites in the LMR. Too bad, but yes I have had my share of leeches on me from when I was younger and pulling them off doesn't really hurt, but Spiff is right, salt works the best and you get a little show.

-Wags

11. sevenx

Thanks guys, Yah I been on the river for years and had never come across them. I allways wear long pants with wading boots and gravel gaurds so I guess I have just never had the pleasure of of little buggers (well maybe some old girlfriends.:O;) s