close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Panther spoted near Port Clinton!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishpro, May 4, 2004.

1. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

According to our local paper, The News Herald, www.portclintonnewsherald.com, a black panther was spoted out in a marshy area near Wal-Mart! A man reportedly heard his dog barking only to find the cat lying in his back yard. They called the local sheriff, who found no trace of any large predators!! :eek: Scroll down for whole story. :D

2. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Home News Entertainment Communities Classifieds Coupons Cars Jobs Customer Service

Home

News
    Local News
    Local Sports
    Elections
    Nation/World
    Ohio News
    Obituaries
    Opinion
    Technology
    Space & Science
    Weather

Entertainment

Communities

Classifieds

Coupons

Cars

Jobs

Customer Service

Network Newspapers
    CentralOhio.com
    The Advocate,
    Newark
    Chillicothe Gazette
    Coshocton Tribune
    The Fishwrapper
    The Granville
    Sentinel
    Lancaster
    Eagle-Gazette
    The Marion Star
    News Herald,
    Port Clinton
    News Journal,
    Mansfield
    The News-Messenger,
    Fremont
    The Pataskala
    Standard
    Telegraph-Forum,
    Bucyrus
    Times Recorder,
    Zanesville

Tuesday, May 4, 2004

Local News

Panther sighting reported in Portage
    Dog sounds alarm
    By RICK NEALE
    Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORTAGE TOWNSHIP -- An East Harbor Road man told authorities he saw a large black panther dart into a marshy, wooded area this weekend just west of the Ohio 53 intersection.

The puma-like creature was spotted by Donald Nason shortly after 11:30 a.m. Sunday. He was watching television in his trailer behind Fisherman's Inn when he heard his golden Labrador, Gunner, barking wildly from its chained-up area in the back yard. Nason peered out the window -- and was startled to see a dark unidentified beast, lying in a nearby alley about 60 feet away.

"The dog was raising Cain out there and I looked out there, and sure in the world, (it was) laying right out there in the open," Nason said Monday during a phone interview. "It was close to 50 pounds and it looked like a cat -- pure black."

The mysterious animal stood on all fours, ran behind a tree and vanished into the swampy brush, Nason said. He said the possible panther headed off in an easterly direction.

He reported that the alleged lion had catlike facial features and pointed ears that stuck straight up off its furry head, though he recalled few other details. "It was far enough away that I couldn't get a real good look at it," he said.

The Ottawa County Sheriff's Office dispatched a deputy to Nason's trailer to investigate the panther sighting. The deputy found no evidence of a large predator in the area, Chief Deputy Bob Bratton said.

No similar loose animals have been reported to the sheriff's office, particularly from African Safari Wildlife Park, Bratton said. The park is about one mile southeast of Nason's home.

African Safari Wildlife Park director Bill Coburn said no exotic animals have escaped his property. In fact, the Lightner Road drive-thru park no longer stocks lions or similar large cats, he said.

Nason has lived at his East Harbor Road home for more than 20 years. He called his wife, Geraldine, to the window when he spotted the wildcat but she did not react in time to see the beast, he said.

The Portage Township thickets and swamps north of East Harbor Road harbor numerous animals, he said. About two weeks ago, he said he was startled by a large buck with sizable antlers near the trailer.

Contact staff writer Rick Neale at 419-734-7506 or rneale@fremont.gannett.com

Email this story

Originally published Tuesday, May 4, 2004

Home | News | Entertainment | Communities | Customer Service
    Classifieds | Coupons | Homes | Cars | Jobs

Contact Us | Subscribe | Place an ad
    Copyright ©2004 News Herald. All rights reserved.
    Use of this site indicates your agreement to the Terms of Service
    (Terms updated 12/20/02)

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I sware on the life of my children that there a few guys in Hocking County that saw they have seen a panther(s). I have never really beleived them, but I guess anything is possbile.

Heck, I just saw on the TV where the police in Columbus are after an African Lion. Go figure.

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Supposedly there is one on the loose in Gahana in Columbus, and reports of one in Mansfield yesterday as well. Sounds kind of odd that they would be "appearing" all over the place all at one time. They do exist in the wild. My great grandmother had photos of one on her property from years back. She lived outside of delaware, Ohio all of her life. :)

5. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Black Panthers?! Didn't they go away in the early 1970's?

[​IMG]

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Oh my god. WD, you are just too funny!

7. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I think Worm Drowner could give ESPN a run for it's money when it comes to "instant classics", there was another WD classsic moment!!!! LOL

:D :D :D

8. catking

catking Banned

I knew I would see Worm Man say somethin about this :rolleyes: DA KING !!! :cool: