close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Panther Electro Steer? Need info

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Toxic, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Panther T4 - Through Tilt Tube Electro Steer. I have a Yamaha 9.9 troller and it's a pain to steer. Was thinking of getting one of these. But I want more info on it.

http://www.panthermarineproducts.com/pmarine/pmarine_detail.php?sku=550102

I would like to have an auto-pilot, but I am finding it hard to find something for my application.

Attached Files:

2. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Toxic I had the electro steer on my old boat, hooked up to a 9.9 johnson 4 stroke. I had the older version, does the same thing but you have to have a mounting surface for the plate that the control arm connects too. I loved this thing, great trolling tool. The new T4 does the same thing but just mounts a different way, I wish I had the wireless remote but I sold that boat so never ended up buying one. I like it because you can troll and set lines at the same time and sit or stand anywhere in the boat. I would run my side of the boat, reel and or net fish at the same time and would just put the controller in my pocket while standing in the back of the boat. I could reel in fish and steer at the same time, now that's cool, very productive gadget when you only have two guys on the boat, nobody has to be at the wheel. I think you need somewhere between 14-19 inches of clearance between your kicker and your big motor, so the rod doesn't hit the big motor at full turn with the T-4, the guys at panther would know.

What type of big motor are you running, cable, dual cable or hydraulic steering? I might know of a auto pilot that would suite your needs, they will be twice the cost and you might have to upgrade or change your current GPS to get it to work with the AP. Let me know what your running and I'll try to help you out a little bit. As far as value, reliability and ease of use the T-4 is a great option, AP's can suck at slow speeds and require calibration often depending on model..FYI

here is a pic

Attached Files:

3. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Thanks for the reply. I own a Trophy with a 2003 150hp Yamaha 2 stroke on a cable steering. And the troller is a 2001 9.9hp 4 stroke Yamaha w/electric trim and it is tiller steered. The kicker is on a gerlik trolling plate.

I don't really want to spend that much money if I have to switch everything around. I understand most AP's are expensive, that is why I was looking at the setup as an alternative.

Attached Files:

4. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Gottcha well the T-4 is a good option for you then. Should be a somewhat easy install. On a rig like yours the wireless control would be a great option but not needed. For the money it will be a great invenstment for your rig.

Good luck with your decision and whatever you end up going with. From the looks of your transom you shouldn't have any clearance issues with the T4

5. Toxic, I would check the simrad ap12r or the ap14r. They are mead for cable driven motors. The 14 has the controls on a wired remote and the 12 is fiked mount at the consol. They stopped production a while ago but some are still available and I have also been told that they just started making them again and shipping just began. A buddy is running thr ap12r and loves it. I have been lookibg for the ap12h or ap14h as I have hydraulic steering.

Scott

6. Toxic check out www.cabelas.com Go to the Bargin Cave check out Troll Daddy Item 0g-018200 Reg. $579.00 onsale for $399.00 they also have some others this one is remote. Tight Lines Fishguy

7. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Scott, that would be sweet. I was also looking at the Raymarine tiller pilot. But I think that both of them would be hard to apply to my boat. Right now the panther is looking like my only option. Could you get me a picture of how his is hooked up?

8. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

All Yamaha stuff is sold out! My luck. LOL