Panama City on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Day81, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Was wondering what you can catch in panama city, Florida around thanksgiving from the beach. we always go to there for thanksgiving and was wanting to get ready early this year.

2. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Hire one of the charters that takes you into the bay. We had a blast, even caught a shark. Well, hooked a shark didn't land him. :)

3. that sounds like it would have been sweet. One thing that i find a bumber is that the piers are closed that time a year.

4. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I was a blast....it was my first time fishing Florida. Ruined me for fishing here in OH. Charter was $250 for myself and my buddy. We fished nearly 5 hours in the bay. Best part about the guides is they know exactly where to fish. We were going to rent a boat, but we would have been going all around looking for fish all day. This guy took us right to the spots where the fish were. We caught mackeral, speckled trout and snappers. A lot of fun. We also did a "party boat" type deal that went 17 miles out into the Gulf. That was a blast too. Lots of red snappers. That was like 60 bucks for 6 hours or so.

5. kyjake

kyjake Still learning

Have fished the area quite a bit over the years but never in late November.The
    big fishing pier in PCB may be closed for repair.There is a smaller but good pier in the state park.You can get day passes to the park but must be out at dark or you can buy a yearly pass and come and go at any time.There is also a large jetty inside the park that is a good place to fish.The link to Halfhitch tackle is a good source of information as when to fish for certain species and baits to use.
    Let me know if I can be of more help.
    Jake
    http://www.halfhitch.com/

6. kyjake

kyjake Still learning

7. Jetty at the state park would be your best bet for shore fishing. I don't know whats in season at that time but if it was me and you don't want to break the bank there's a head boat called Capt Andersons that I did when I was down there a couple springs ago and I had a blast catching red snapper. I spent a week fishing the different piers and didn't have much luck on any of them.

Good luck!

8. culprit

culprit Culprit

Going to be in the area next week, which state park has the jetty? Usually fish the Dan Russell Pier when we're there but looks as if it's closed(torn down). Always had lots of fun catching Spanish & Ladyfish off it this time of year. Pretty much stuck with pier or surf fishing. Everybody in our group has a little problem with motion sickness.:eek: Was thinking of trying this pier http://www.okaloosaislandpier.com/ as we'll be staying a bit closer to Destin this time.

9. kyjake

kyjake Still learning

There is a pier in St. Andrews State Park.
    Jake

10. ScottB

ScottB SW Ohio

We just got back from PCB yesterday. Didn't know it before I left but yes the Dan Russell Pier is torn down. So is the County Pier. They are rebuilding the Dan Russell but I doubt if it will be finished by November.

Weather was pretty crappy last week, the gulf was pretty rough so the head boats didn't even go out a couple days but we did go out on the Gemini Queen for a 5 hr trip Friday morning. We slaughtered the B-Liners (vermillion snappers). My son and I caught at least 40. The limit per person is 10 so we ended up giving a lot to other people on the boat. There were about 50 people fishing on the boat and the total count was 400 vermillion snappers. The deck hands said that was the best day in a long time, they usually only have around 150 for the entire boat. Several really nice red snappers were caught but we were in International waters and the season closed for them August 4, all had to be released. Several amberjacks were caught too but they need to be 30" and the biggest caught was 29 1/4".

Never tried fishing from the beach. We have been going down for 5 years now and I have seen only 3 or 4 people try it and they didn't catch anything that I saw. Where we normally are, you have to go out 40 or 50 yards to be 4' or 5' deep. Great for swimming but not so good for surf fishing.

11. culprit

culprit Culprit

Thanks for all the info everyone,looks like Tropical Storm Fay will probably mess with our fishing. We get down there on Sunday morning when she's supposed to hit the area. We're always dodging storms this time of year down there Katrina being the worst so far.