Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow will be my sons last day of summer before school starts, thinking about taking him out for some pan fish action. I’m not up on the hot lakes as all I fish is Erie. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? West branch , portage, Long lake, nimisia etc...PM me if you prefer, I’d appreciate any current info ! Thanks , RP

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
All of the Portage Lakes have a good panfish population. Last week, I was fishing a shallow sandy shoreline with a small spinner and hooked up with a nice redeared sunfish. Had 2 other bites in the same spot. They were pretty aggressive. Might have even been spawning again. The water was too green to see any beds though. Red or dug worms are best for panfish. Maggots don't have enough wiggle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Last time was there got about 15 7-9 inchers, many more dinks.

Nothing great but eat good and was end of July and decent for the causeway that time of year. Mogadore has been on fire for me for crappie, no perch tho which is weird. Have bait i didnt use today so i am probably going to go Thursday or Friday either way. Surprised to hear gills still biting usually done by now from shore

I’m going tomorrow so I’ll let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m going tomorrow so I’ll let you know

·
Angry hillbilly
1,410 Posts
Kip squitter has all the 8.5in to 10in craps u want . I would say around 12ft and deeper right now!
Am so disappointed right now on the size of the crappies there and how human impact clearly has done a number! Those fish are not as thick in shoulders like they used to be either! Lots of 3.5 year old class crappie one hell of spawn

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you see any cats can you let me know. May to end of june was good, but July was a struggle besides small ones.
Caught 2 yellow perch, 2 white perch, no they weren’t white bass and a whole bunch of cats between 4”-16”. Caught a few just of the sandbar by New Bowers launch then caught the rest 200 yards North of the PA bridge. We used worms because the word was that is what the perch were hitting

·
Registered
137 Posts
Caught 2 yellow perch, 2 white perch, no they weren’t white bass and a whole bunch of cats between 4”-16”. Caught a few just of the sandbar by New Bowers launch then caught the rest 200 yards North of the PA bridge. We used worms because the word was that is what the perch were hitting

The white perch are going to become a problem i think...... ruined ladue and know pymatuning is bigger, but clearly isnt good. Caught as many as 5 in a day

·
Registered
137 Posts
I may still go friday and try the corner of the beach for perch or see what the southside of thr causeway is going on yhr ohio side. Not a promising report

·
Registered
41 Posts
I may still go friday and try the corner of the beach for perch or see what the southside of thr causeway is going on yhr ohio side. Not a promising report
We May be a week or 2 from the perch bite picking up. I’m going out again tomorrow

1 - 20 of 39 Posts