close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Painting the bottom of a boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Shed Hunter 365, Aug 20, 2008.

1. I have to paint the bottom of a 24' Crestliner below the waterline. Any idea on the type of paint that would be required.

2. Sherwin-Williams Dura-Plate 235 barrier coat.

Interlux VC Offshore anti-fouling.

I like the 2 part epoxy paint as a barrier coat between the gel and bottom paint. It's not cheap, and not 100% necessary, but it does help the paint to last longer, and doesn't need to be reapplied when you re-paint the bottom. It also gives you some material between the sander and the gel when it's time to remove the bottom paint, and re-paint. And provides a water tight seal to prevent blistering.

And from my experience, VC Offshore is the best bottom paint out there. 1qt should do the job on a 24'.

Interlux also makes an epoxy barrier coat, called interprotect I think, if you don't have a sherwin-williams store near.

3. If the boat will be kept in the water, then by all means an ablative bottom paint like the VC mentioned is in order. If the boat will be trailer kept, then either the VC if you want low maintenance (and don't care how it looks) or if looks are more of a concern then Awlgrip or another marine specific paint.

Look around on West Marine's website/catalog...they have quite a bit of info there.