Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
go green
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need info on it all guys.. powder coat or air brush? what kind of guns? what kind of paints? please help. thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I would check out some YouTube video's on the basic how to's.But as far as the paint and powder paint I use createx water base paint and I use Pro Tec powder paint.Air brush I would buy Iwata eclipse might be a little more than some others but you pay for what you get.Will thats what I learned with the air brush's anyway lol.And check out the archives here you will get a ton of info.

·
Jiggin Freak
2,526 Posts
I've gotten good results from brush tapping powder paint, although it can get tricky to get them to cure with out the paint slipping or sagging on the blade when you start using multiple colors. It is possible though..... just bake them in the oven raising the temp very slowly to the target temp so you don't over shoot it. Candy/transparent powder colors get even more touchy.

I do solid coat some blades, but like to keep some of the original bright/flashy quality of the spinner. Most of what i paint uses transparent colors or only paint areas of the blade so some of it remains un-painted and then lightly coat the entire blade with clear powder. Even after curing, you might get some visible cracks in the paint as the blades can still bend some. For my personal use, i don't mind. ;)

Here are some of mine. The dots and stripes are made with powder paint and either stencils or heat resistant tape......

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
i need info on it all guys.. powder coat or air brush? what kind of guns? what kind of paints? please help. thanks!
I think you can do more intricate work work with an air brush. You can get a cheap gun, but it's just that..........cheap. I started with a lower quality gun, and had troubles with it. I then purchased an Iwata Eclipse, and have been using it for three years now, trouble free.

Buy blades, give them a quip wipe with a cotton towel (old t shirt), prime it with white, and have at it. Most use Createx paint, available at hobby stores for a very reasonable price. Between colors, rinse the bowl/gun with warm water and Windex. Every couple of times, you'll need to disassemble the gun and give it a thorough cleaning.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Steve, how do you do an antifreeze back? mine aren't coming out good.
Most 'anti-freeze' is done with chartreuse paint over a silver blade, with no white base coat. Some 'purists' have a certain paint recipe for anti-freeze. I find that just a light coating of chartreuse over a silver or gold blade does just as well.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Hetfieldinn. How do you manage that netting effect? And. How do you get them black lines so sharp and neat?

Oddly enough, with netting. Cut it into squares bigger than the blades, stretch it over the blades, and hold it in place with mini spring clamps on the back side of the blade. Paint blade, then remove. The 'perch bars' are done with stencils. Go to your favorite magazine store, hold a magazine by the binding, give it a good shake, and pick up all the subscription cards and sales cards that fall out. Tell the lady at the register to have a nice day as she politely asks you to not come back. Cut whatever pattern you want out of the card with a zacto knife.

http://lurepartsonline.com/Shop-By-Category/Painting-Accessories/Scale-Netting.html

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
While Hetfield continues to be a excellent perennial source of info, the search feature on OGF will give you days of reading on this topic and many others. I just dug up some of his posts and others on making harnesses and found a wealth of pages on such a common topic.

Het, do you still slay walleye? Do hear about it anymore...

·
go green
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While Hetfield continues to be a excellent perennial source of info, the search feature on OGF will give you days of reading on this topic and many others. I just dug up some of his posts and others on making harnesses and found a wealth of pages on such a common topic.

Het, do you still slay walleye? Do hear about it anymore...
i did do that and did not find the information i was looking for. but good looking out bro

·
5,997 Posts
Oddly enough, with netting. Cut it into squares bigger than the blades, stretch it over the blades, and hold it in place with mini spring clamps on the back side of the blade. Paint blade, then remove. The 'perch bars' are done with stencils. Go to your favorite magazine store, hold a magazine by the binding, give it a good shake, and pick up all the subscription cards and sales cards that fall out. Tell the lady at the register to have a nice day as she politely asks you to not come back. Cut whatever pattern you want out of the card with a zacto knife.

http://lurepartsonline.com/Shop-By-Category/Painting-Accessories/Scale-Netting.html
Ordered some netting not sure how you mean to hold it. With clamps don't they clamp front and back of blade?
i have tried those cards. But I sure don't get them as nice as yours. All my stencils seem to run or overspray. I have taped to reduce overspray and it seeps underneath. and when I hold stencil above a little i lose the sharpness. At my age some shake is normal too! LOL! Well i'll keep practising but guess i don't have artist in me. Although i love doing this. Gives me something to do on my bad days too! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Ordered some netting not sure how you mean to hold it. With clamps don't they clamp front and back of blade?
i have tried those cards. But I sure don't get them as nice as yours. All my stencils seem to run or overspray. I have taped to reduce overspray and it seeps underneath. and when I hold stencil above a little i lose the sharpness. At my age some shake is normal too! LOL! Well i'll keep practising but guess i don't have artist in me. Although i love doing this. Gives me something to do on my bad days too! ;)
Cut the netting bigger than the blade. Put it over the front of the blade, gather it behind the blade, give it a few twists, then clamp the twists.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Hetfield, how so you make the circles? Im haveing a hard time doing it with the airbrush...
Dots can be tough. A double action gun really helps so you can control the air pressure. Practice on paper first. Don't try to do it in one sitting. I usually do three or four light coats instead of one heavy one.

·
go green
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
also can i put createx over powder paint? i take it i will probably have to put a base coat on before i do. thanks guys

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hetfield inn,
Those are some AMAZING blades! So crisp in detail. Great job.

From Drew on my Droid X

LMB: 18 largest-13"
Gills:
Crappie: 6 largest 9"
Other: 1

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,420 Posts
Hetfieldinn. How do you manage that netting effect? And. How do you get them black lines so sharp and neat?

Try making a little window with the netting, do the same with your stencil they will be sharp as can be. or lay your blades out on a board with double sided tape, the blades will stick, take a piece of netting and lay it over the top of the blades which will also stick to the tape since it's double sided spray lightly and pull off the netting of choice carefully, doing it this way you can do many at a time depending on how many you lay out.Same thing with stencils.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts