close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

painting bottom of boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Gju42486, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

looking to make some major improvements on the boat here shortly, and one of the more tedious jobs i assume is going to be painting the bottom, i did a search here and it brought one thread up with good information. Im just curious if anyone else has anything they can add--is the anti-fouling paint worth it even when the boat is on a trailer most of the time, or would regular bottom paint do the job? also, do i have to completely remove the old paint, or would a good sanding do the trick and paint over it?. One last question is how much paint will be needed, the boat is 24ft, and im looking at putting 2 coats on at a minimum--will 3 gallons do the trick or would 4 be more pheasible?

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

in my opinion the anti-fouling paint is only needed if you leave your boat in the water for the season(a slip). follow the directions on the can. im sure they say if you need to have a clean surface or can paint over old paint. no idea how much you need:p

3. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

thanks for the info EZ- im going to check it out today--i sure hope, for my sake that i dont need a clean bottom--the previous owner just caked paint over top of prior coats so where its chipping now, there are craters there to say the least, but hell, if it all has to come off, i guess ill get it off, might as well do it right i guess

4. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

OK...I have an un-painted bottom. I keep the boat in the water all summer. Should I have it painted? Hull is great shape, but sure was ugly when I pulled it out last fall and had it professionally cleaned.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

The problem with not painting is a) the growth causes you to use more fuel b) you are susceptible to blistering the fiberglass.

6. i am going to repaint the bottom of my 23ft sportscraft this week and i just repaint over the old paint. i only sand an area if it looks like it is chipping off there. to repaint the whole bottom of my boat with anti-foiling paint it takes one quart but of course i thin it out with mineral spirits. hope this helps!!!

7. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

George,
    If the paint is bonded good, just rough it up to accept a new coat.

8. Just my opinion.... I think it all depends on what "you" want to do with it. If you dont dock then its really not required, but if you plan on keeping the boat for a while and its already painted you have a few choices. Fiberglass does let moisture permeate. Interlux makes a 2 part epoxy paint called 2000E it seals the fiberglass then you paint over it with your choice of bottom paint, check out VC17 it has teflon in it. Problem is if you go this route you need to strip off all old paint, its all about the prep work for good adhesion. Paint is very pricey. but if you do it right you will only have to touch up a few spots every season. I did this on my boat and spent more time on stripping and prepping than painting. Stop by a place that does this kind of work and ask questions, thats what I did and feel it was worth it considering the value of the boat.

9. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

George,
    Painted mine about 6 years ago. If you have craters you will want to take care of that for fuel economy. I bought my boat used, and there was already bottom paint on it. When I stripped the old peeling mess off, I noticed that the prep work by the previous owner required me to put paint back on the hull, even though I trailer it. If you want to just sand the bad spots, you need to ensure the new paint going on is compatible with the old (ie, you don't put hard paint over ablative, or VC over any other kind). Stripping the old paint was the crappiest most miserable work I can remember. I used Interlux stripper and liked it the best. It is thick, and you can roll it on and it sticks long enough to soften the old paint. West Marine's cheapie stripper is too thin, and you end up spending as much or more for it then the better stuff. Of course you could also go with soda blasting or other technique. The hard anti fouling paints will rub off on the bunks, but I just touch up those spots every year, and every three years or so use a thin coat to touch up the boot line. No cratering yet after 6 years. I would have gone with a VC paint, but they didn't have a dark color. White would show off too many of the old sander marks from the previous owner. Awlgrip might be a possibility, if you don't leave the boat in the water, or have a bunk trailer. Water resting against the hull will lift that paint after a short while. Good luck, and get a decent respirator if you sand.

Workdog

By the way, do a search through the historical files on thehulltruth.com. There is a wealth of info on there about bottom painting. It'll be worth your time.

10. Ra0035

Ra0035 Member

do you guys know of anybody or someplace i can take my boat to get done? its an 18.5ft fiberglass bass boat