Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Fish Feeder
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a project boat for the winter.Something like a 14ft.What's the best to repaint on the outside of an alun. boat.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
My first choice would be to take it somewhere and have them paint it with an epoxy auto paint. The paint is about $300 a gallon.

The option I went with is paint from Lou at lockstockandbarrel.com He also has prep instruction on the website.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Depending on your budget and personal preference, look at a product called Sanitred. There is a website. If your 14 ft aluminum boat has leaks too, this will take care of it. And you will only have to do it once.

·
The Fish Feeder
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you think the rino liner type stuff would work on the inside.And is there a alum. paint to diy the outside with.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
How do you think the rino liner type stuff would work on the inside.And is there a alum. paint to diy the outside with.
Lots of guys have done duck boats and john boats with the rhino lining type stuff. Many manufacturers even sell boats that are either partially or completely done with it. The only down side I really hear of about it is how hot it can get in the summer. (But I would think a lighter color would help tremendously). And the paint they use on aluminum boats at the factory is a baked on enamel paint. Automotive paint will cover and look pretty good (not to mention the vast color selection) but tends to scratch much easier than the paint designed for a boat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I painted my aluminum boat. It’s certainly nothing special, I’m not sure what you’re looking for. I just primed with etching primer and painted it with marine paint I bought from Fisher boats. They were the only place I could find the color I wanted, otherwise I would have just used paint from TSC. I’m no professional and it shows, but it’s been at least 10 years and it’s still on there.

·
The Fish Feeder
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a 14ft gruman,doesn't need painting on the outside just cleaned up and maybe try to touch up.I will replace the floors and change some things around.I'd thought again about the rino liner type stuff for the inside of the hull,under the floor line.Should you paint the inside hull before applying the liner stuff?And what would you paint the inside with.And for the trailer,new lights etc and what do you think of rustolum enamel for painting the trailer.What ever i paint the trailer with i'll have to probally brush paint it as i really can't spray paint in the garage.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
I bought a 14ft gruman,doesn't need painting on the outside just cleaned up and maybe try to touch up.I will replace the floors and change some things around.I'd thought again about the rino liner type stuff for the inside of the hull,under the floor line.Should you paint the inside hull before applying the liner stuff?And what would you paint the inside with.And for the trailer,new lights etc and what do you think of rustolum enamel for painting the trailer.What ever i paint the trailer with i'll have to probally brush paint it as i really can't spray paint in the garage.
I think the rhino liner needs to be applied to bare, roughed up metal...

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
Will the rhino liner actually seal the boat ?
It's a rubber type coating. As long as you cover everything and it adheres to the metal properly, I'd guess that it would... I don't know that I would depend on it to seal any major leaks though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Painted my 18 ft. StarCraft with rustolium professional. Wiped the boat down with degreaser first. I used a fine bristle brush, did it on a coolish day so the paint would flow out. It has been on two years now and still looks good. Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts