Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fish were actually biting pretty good today. I caught around 10 crappie, some little cats, and about 40 SAUGEYE! :) I kept a few saugeye to stock in a pond but all the rest were released. Thats not the best part though. I walked down to the tube and started fishing right where the water comes out. I was there for about 2 min and sumthing slams my minnow. I set the hook and the fisght is on. I fought it for about 20 min. on my ultralight and walk it down to the rocks, I finally bring it up and its a HUGE flathead. It was the biggest fish I ever seen in real life. Right when I start getting excited my hook pulls loose, and the monster gets away. I was very shook up and still amazed of the size of the fish. So I walk back down and a min. later the same thing happens, except this time I cant ever bring it up. It just felt like a log down there. Im not even sure it reliezed it was hooked at first. I walk it down to the rocks after about a half hour and then SNAP! It breaks the line. I felt very sick about losing 2 huge fish in a row and still do. After sitting down for a few min. a tied on another hook and walk back down there, and hook up into another big fish. :cool: I was very determined to get this one in so I took my time. I this fish just set there also, and every time I pulled I couldn't even budge it. After about an hour(remember I have an ultralight) it started pouring raining and it was lightining. I knew I had to get in in soon so I pulled a little bit harder and she finally started coming my way. Finally, about 10 min. later I had my fish in the net, I was hoping for a big Flathead but I was not to disappointed when I seen a ......CARP! My fish scales only go up to 22 pounds, and the carp maxed them out easily. Im guessing it was maybe a thirty pounder? :) Anyway I know it was the biggest I had ever caught so I was pretty happy. I threw it back in so I could catch it next year when its bigger, as long as sombody else dont catch it and keep it which would not suprize me at all. :mad: I will be going back soon to try to seek revenge with my flathead, this time maybe with slightly heavier tackle. :D Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
Looks like I may have to try the spillway friday, I am sure I will get skunked however!

·
Banned
5,615 Posts
Great fishin Trap !! This area can awsome at the right time. There was a 52 pound flathead caught there a couple years ago. THE CATKING !!! :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's an excellent spot for carp...especially when the water is flowing a bit. I've seen them stacked up right below the tube many times...great job on the big one...makes me want to head down there and give it a try.

·
Banned
127 Posts
You are giving me hope again to try paint creek. I have been getting skunked left and right down there this year. I just might have to hit it up again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, we was using minnows and nightcrawlers. ;) I talked to a few people there and they said the saugeyes hit really well when the water is falling, as it was yesterday. I went back again today and the water was coming to fast to fish the spot I did yesterday. I only seen 2 nice saugeye caught. The carp seemed to be everywhere. I caught 6 and seen some others caught also. Yesterday in the shallow bay on the other side, the carp formed a big school and were actually making a wake in the water. I may go back out Saturday and try for them. It should be fun. :cool:

ps. I love going there and catching a bunch of fish, and then releasing them right in front of all the meathunters. ;) Maybe some peole will catch on. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts