close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paint Spillway

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by traphunter, May 26, 2004.

1. traphunter

traphunter Guest

The fish were actually biting pretty good today. I caught around 10 crappie, some little cats, and about 40 SAUGEYE! :) I kept a few saugeye to stock in a pond but all the rest were released. Thats not the best part though. I walked down to the tube and started fishing right where the water comes out. I was there for about 2 min and sumthing slams my minnow. I set the hook and the fisght is on. I fought it for about 20 min. on my ultralight and walk it down to the rocks, I finally bring it up and its a HUGE flathead. It was the biggest fish I ever seen in real life. Right when I start getting excited my hook pulls loose, and the monster gets away. I was very shook up and still amazed of the size of the fish. So I walk back down and a min. later the same thing happens, except this time I cant ever bring it up. It just felt like a log down there. Im not even sure it reliezed it was hooked at first. I walk it down to the rocks after about a half hour and then SNAP! It breaks the line. I felt very sick about losing 2 huge fish in a row and still do. After sitting down for a few min. a tied on another hook and walk back down there, and hook up into another big fish. :cool: I was very determined to get this one in so I took my time. I this fish just set there also, and every time I pulled I couldn't even budge it. After about an hour(remember I have an ultralight) it started pouring raining and it was lightining. I knew I had to get in in soon so I pulled a little bit harder and she finally started coming my way. Finally, about 10 min. later I had my fish in the net, I was hoping for a big Flathead but I was not to disappointed when I seen a ......CARP! My fish scales only go up to 22 pounds, and the carp maxed them out easily. Im guessing it was maybe a thirty pounder? :) Anyway I know it was the biggest I had ever caught so I was pretty happy. I threw it back in so I could catch it next year when its bigger, as long as sombody else dont catch it and keep it which would not suprize me at all. :mad: I will be going back soon to try to seek revenge with my flathead, this time maybe with slightly heavier tackle. :D Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Thats some awesome fishing. sounds like you need to upgrade and bring at least 8 lb test this time! :D

4. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Im suprized my line held as well as it did, it was only 6 lb. :)

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Looks like I may have to try the spillway friday, I am sure I will get skunked however!

6. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Flathunter, bring alot of hooks, you will need them.

7. hey what were you catching the saugeye on!

8. catking

catking Banned

Great fishin Trap !! This area can awsome at the right time. There was a 52 pound flathead caught there a couple years ago. THE CATKING !!! :)

9. That's an excellent spot for carp...especially when the water is flowing a bit. I've seen them stacked up right below the tube many times...great job on the big one...makes me want to head down there and give it a try.

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sounds like a great day, nice catch!

11. You are giving me hope again to try paint creek. I have been getting skunked left and right down there this year. I just might have to hit it up again.

12. Wow, congrats on the large carp. SOunds like you had one of those big fish days that we all dream about. Keep it up!

13. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Hey, we was using minnows and nightcrawlers. ;) I talked to a few people there and they said the saugeyes hit really well when the water is falling, as it was yesterday. I went back again today and the water was coming to fast to fish the spot I did yesterday. I only seen 2 nice saugeye caught. The carp seemed to be everywhere. I caught 6 and seen some others caught also. Yesterday in the shallow bay on the other side, the carp formed a big school and were actually making a wake in the water. I may go back out Saturday and try for them. It should be fun. :cool:

ps. I love going there and catching a bunch of fish, and then releasing them right in front of all the meathunters. ;) Maybe some peole will catch on. :eek: